• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Road World Championships: Women's Road Race, 140km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Arredondo said:
However, Vos looks like in total control. Johansson is invisible, but perhaps riding the most clever of them all.

Johansson often does more work than she needs to riding for her trade teams, but in the national squad she's isolated early. Definitely her best opportunity is for the moment to lay low and let the Italians wear out van der Breggen and leave Vos alone.

SafeBet said:
She's really special.
And she looks the freshest among the italians, even though she's the one who worked more.

yea, she's going to be a big thing. Longo Borghini is my dark horse, but what a story it would be if she was to win it after spending the Giro Rosa in a wheelchair!

Häusler/Villumsen/Antoshina have made the bridge now, so we have 11 at the front. They will definitely need a bit of a rest after that work, but they've given themselves a fighting change.

Bridie O'Donnell argues there are four likely winners here: Vos, Stevens, Guderzo and Cromwell. Her argument against Johansson is that Johansson hasn't beaten Vos in a sprint, and hasn't beaten Guderzo in a mountain stage.

I'd argue that in a pure climbing competition the best there are probably Stevens and Guderzo. I'd include Häusler if she was at peak abilities but the fact she's been dropped already in this race and had to work back on would put her out of my reckoning.

Edit: reports of bike problems for Tatiana Guderzo. Not sure if she's just back at the team car for tactics. Pauline Ferrand-Prévot and one of the Russians now trying to bridge.

Edit: They made it. Kuchinskaya straight over the front, then Guderzo counterattacks! Vos and Ratto with her. Elisa Longo Borghini now attacks with van der Breggen and Johansson chasing.

Guderzo, Vos, Ratto, Johansson now.

Edit: Evie Stevie goes! Team Netherlands in chase, van der Breggen still doing a hell of a job. Guderzo dropped!!! This is big!!! The Italians are all having to chase back on now!

Van der Breggen goes, and Ratto is in her wheel! Ratto's now alone with Guderzo and Longo Borghini dropped - down to 5 and Vos is now the only one with a helper!