• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
2013 Santos Tour Down Under

Stage 1: Prospect to Lobethal, 135km
Stage 2: Mt Barker to Rostrevor, 116.5km
Stage 3: Unley to Stirling, 139km
Stage 4: Modbury to Tanunda, 126.5km
Stage 5: McLaren Vale to Old Willunga Hill, 151.5km
Stage 6: Adelaide Street Circuit, 90km

Startlist - Provisional
Riders of note (so far): Boasson Hagen, Rojas, Visconti, A. Schleck, Rogers, Iglinskiy, Guardini, Kelderman Gasparotto, De Gendt, Greipel, Kelderman, Kittel, Gerrans, P Velits, Lloyd and Gilbert.

TV Schedule (all times are AEDST/CET times where appropriate)
Down Under Classic - Channel 9 Highlights from 10:30pm to 12am
- LIVE Feed of this event will start at 7:30pm/9:30 on ninemsn.com.au

Stage 1 - 1pm -> 3:30pm/3am -> 5:30am on both GEM and ninemsn feed for those overseas.
- Highlights on Channel 9 from 11pm -12am

Stage 2 - 12:30pm -> 3pm/2:30am -> 5:00am on both GEM and ninemsn feed for those overseas
- Highlights on Channel 9 from 11pm - 12am

Stage 3 - 1pm -> 3:30pm/3am -> 5:30am on both GEM and ninemsn feed for those overseas.

Stage 4 - 1pm -> 3:30pm/3am -> 5:30am on both GEM and ninemsn feed for those overseas.

Stage 5 - 11:30am -> 4pm/1:30am -> 6:00am on both Channel 9 and the ninemsn feed.

Stage 6 - 1:30pm -> 4:30pm/3:30am -> 6:30am on both Channel 9 and the ninemsn feed

ALL STAGES ARE LIVE

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Andy to come back with a bang and destroy his opposition on wilunga hill.

I don't think so.The old willunga hill is not a climb for diesel climbers like Andy,there will be a battle between Simon Gerrans and Big Phil.For Andy to destroy his opposition,he needs a big climb and to be in top form like 2011 Tour.Perhaps he achieves a top 10 in the race,but to win TDU you need to have some miles in your legs like the Australians who are going to the Jayco Bay to tune up the form for their national Tour.

bettiniphoto_0095761_1_full_600.jpg

/thread

next one? :p

calinmarian said:
I don't think so.The old willunga hill is not a climb for diesel climbers like Andy,there will be a battle between Simon Gerrans and Big Phil.For Andy to destroy his opposition,he needs a big climb and to be in top form like 2011 Tour.Perhaps he achieves a top 10 in the race,but to win TDU you need to have some miles in your legs like the Australians who are going to the Jayco Bay to tune up the form for their national Tour.
The only Aussie who can still win it in the current setup is Gerrans (barring breakaways etc). And he only narrowly beat Valverde last year, by stealing a few bonus seconds here and there.

Sure, the Aussies have an advantage in form, but the course is more suited to the Europeans. Not to Andy Schleck of course, I agree. He'll probably finish dead last on every stage.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If any decent climber has some form, they should be able to ride away from Gerrans. Last year's competition did poorly on the final climb when trying to challenge Gerrans although the field was decimated a fair bit by the 2nd climb of Wilunga so not all the climbers were present.

auscyclefan94 said:
If any decent climber has some form, they should be able to ride away from Gerrans. Last year's competition did poorly on the final climb when trying to challenge Gerrans although the field was decimated a fair bit by the 2nd climb of Wilunga so not all the climbers were present.
It's not really a climb though, more of a hill. All joking about Machado aside, on a proper climb he should finish ahead of Gerrans. As should Rogers.

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
1.gerrans
2.kash
3.andy
4.gaspa

watch out, astana is coming to the party!
i expect some action on old willunga

I disagree:
1.Big Phil
2.Simon "the wheelsucker" Gerrans
3.A.Valverde
4.Gasparotto
5.De Gendt
off the pace for Andy Schleck a place between 15th and 20th.

Phil's form has traditionally been good here, and he should be better on such hills than Gerrans.

Gerrans will likely have superior form though, so it should be interesting.

Valverde is a factor too if he has the same form here as he had last year. Although I think that his good form in the TDU then was mainly because he was so happy to be racing again.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait until Aussie Nationals to make predictions. Phil I think could go well though, and hopefully Sutton is up there in the sprints.

dlwssonic said:
Andy to come back with a bang and destroy his opposition on wilunga hill.

Would be awesome :D, but I don't see it yet. I think the most we can hope for from Schleck is to maybe see him trying to be in the break. As long as he hangs in there though he should be satisfied.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Gerrans and Valverde were best last year here... Nowhere in the Ardennes.

Being very good here might not be best sign for the guys trying to peak for Ardennes. Obviously few like Gilbert can win even not being anywhere near his best shape.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
He's in with a shot on the Stirling stage, no chance against proper sprinters on flat/downhill finishes though.

Presumably Matthews is riding for Raboblanco? Odds on fave for Stirling stage as usual, if so.

TRENDING THREADS