• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ferminal said:
Who says Gilbert is in top form? Who says Thomas doesn't have vastly superior form to Merckx?

With good legs Thomas could top5.

I'm sure if EBH is good enough he will get a result, but if not he will work for someone stronger.
Geraint Thomas is 26 years old and has never done well in a race like this. I don't know, I can't see him winning at least. Top 5? Sure.

And you're right, form is uncertain at this point, but the logical approach would be to give G a free role. Anyhow, the bookmakers have EBH at 4/1 and Geraint Thomas at 50/1...

maltiv said:
Geraint Thomas is 26 years old and has never done well in a race like this. I don't know, I can't see him winning at least. Top 5? Sure.

And you're right, form is uncertain at this point, but the logical approach would be to give G a free role. Anyhow, the bookmakers have EBH at 4/1 and Geraint Thomas at 50/1...

good time to put all our money on g then

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
So which is it? Chris Sutton in fifth as per Team Sky's News-section, or EBH as per the results-sheet on CN (which has no mention of Sutton at all).......Just saying.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
hektoren said:
So which is it? Chris Sutton in fifth as per Team Sky's News-section, or EBH as per the results-sheet on CN (which has no mention of Sutton at all).......Just saying.

Sutton 5th. EBH was the ''main'' sprinter but Sky messed it up.

maltiv said:

Oh, the bookmakers. Those inevitable connoisseurs of cycling. Let's see, who is next after EBH in their rating for this race... ah yes, it's Andre Greipel.

theyoungest said:
Oh, the bookmakers. Those inevitable connoisseurs of cycling. Let's see, who is next after EBH in their rating for this race... ah yes, it's Andre Greipel.
What crazy bookmaker are you looking at? Greipel is everywhere from 25/1 to 200/1, but can't see anyone who's rated him as high as you claim :rolleyes:

maltiv said:

So?
Wiggins hasn't done well in any uphill race until late in his career and then suddenly finished 4th in the TDF and now even won it...
what's your point?

if there's anything we've learned the last few years is that some riders can dominate out of nothing

maltiv said:
What crazy bookmaker are you looking at? Greipel is everywhere from 25/1 to 200/1, but can't see anyone who's rated him as high as you claim :rolleyes:
Unibet.

Look, I know you're a big EBH fan, for obvious reasons, but he got dropped in the Willunga sprint last year and the new course doesn't do him any favours. Geraint Thomas, contrary to what you say, has performed on climbs before, even while concentrating mostly on the track. If he has the form, I can understand why they'd pick him above EBH.

theyoungest said:
Unibet.

Look, I know you're a big EBH fan, for obvious reasons, but he got dropped in the Willunga sprint last year and the new course doesn't do him any favours. Geraint Thomas, contrary to what you say, has performed on climbs before, even while concentrating mostly on the track. If he has the form, I can understand why they'd pick him above EBH.

Indeed Thomas already finished the Tour in 31st position without really riding for GC. He is already looking skinny this year and I think he can survive Willunga hill. Thomas is a massive allround talent.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah and Gilbert got 32th in his first GT at age 22. Doesn't mean he'll win a GT(or ever be a contender). I didn't know you needed super good all-round skills to finish somewhere in the 30s in a GT.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ruudz0r said:
I was just saying he is able to get up a hill. As some were doubting that.

But many can do it better. Of course, it's still January, so it's impossible to predict who will be in good shape and who is still in build-up.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
So?
Wiggins hasn't done well in any uphill race until late in his career and then suddenly finished 4th in the TDF and now even won it...
what's your point?

if there's anything we've learned the last few years is that some riders can dominate out of nothing

Wiggins is largely an exception to the rule. As we all know, the large majority of gc riders show some form of potential in their early years as a pro in a GT.

auscyclefan94 said:
Wiggins is largely an exception to the rule. As we all know, the large majority of gc riders show some form of potential in their early years as a pro in a GT.
Exactly, if we're going to use Wiggins as an example we might as well conclude that just about every professional rider below 30 is a potential GT winner.

TRENDING THREADS