• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de France Stage 1: Porto Vecchio -> Bastia, 213km (29/06/13)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Stage 1?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Mollema also crashed in the big crah. Doesnt seem to be very hurt though.

I hate the first week GC selection of the TDF. Its just barbaric.

Same, why isit always like it at the TDF sorry for a noob question but isit me or does the Tour always lose more GC riders, isit the avg speed?. Ive watched the TDF since 04 and although the number 1 fav has never crashed out and had to leave the race we always lose good GC riders.:D

TANK91 said:
Same, why isit always like it at the TDF sorry for a noob question but isit me or does the Tour always lose more GC riders, isit the avg speed?. Ive watched the TDF since 04 and although the number 1 fav has never crashed out and had to leave the race we always lose good GC riders.:D
It's the fact that this is the most important race on the calendar by far, and riders take that extra risk. You could predict total mayhem, when a yellow jersey was up for grabs on the line. I don't know what the organizers were thinking.

And you know, next year it's the same. Sprint stage to start it off.

spalco said:
Thanks. He didn't look well to me, but hopefully it won't be decisive in the GC.

I want Contador to lose, but I want him to lose fairly, and not because of some stupid random crash like 2011.

I want the best guy to win, really don't have a favourite. They didn't show much of him on the British highlights (surprise...) so it may be worse than that link makes out. He'll have time to get well though.

But I agree, top guys falling foul of silly crashes is hugely disappointing, even if it is part of racing.

Cimber said:
Well they say they HOPE he is ok, but will be hard to tell until tomorrow. He is also a little bit afraid about wether he can sit right on the TT bike for the TTT on stage 4.

The video of the crash shows that he hits the deck very hard

I'm sure (hope) he'll be ok. The TTT is short enough not to be too decisive. If they have to he could sit out the wind and not take a turn on the front.

Also pretty ironic that Greipel was the one taking such risk which lead to the crash, while not so long ago he said there are quite a few kamikaze riders in the peloton.

The coolness on his face when he was waiting for a new bike was pretty epic though.

Flamin said:
Also pretty ironic that Greipel was the one taking such risk which lead to the crash, while not so long ago he said there are quite a few kamikaze riders in the peloton.

The coolness on his face when he was waiting for a new bike was pretty epic though.

That's a bit unfair. He probably thought he had 5 km until he needed to be at the front, then he suddenly hears it's 2km to the finish. Of course he's going to have to try get to the front, yellow was on the line.

As I said before, he caused it, he wasn't at fault though.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
TANK91 said:
I was like wtf at the time lol, and don't put a smily after your sentence as Dutchsmurf interprets as wising a rider to crash, he did with me.

No I didn't. There is a difference between laughing about a non serious fall before the Tour even officially started and laughing about a potential serious crash. I was just telling you that your way of posting to me suggested that you found Contador's injuries amusing. It is just your use of smilies really. Smilies to me are a way to indicate the meaning of a post when the words itself aren't clear. By using the smiley you use, you indicate you intend what you posted as a joke or it being funny. So I'm mostly wondering if you mean it like that. And if not, why you keep adding that smiley at strange places.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
the pope said:
official OPQS Martin update:

"Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team rider Tony Martin crashed during the final kilometers of Tour de France Stage 1 on Saturday. He finished the race, but after the finish he was transported to the General Hospital of Bastia, where he passed a few examinations. The CT scan excluded fractures.

However, he has a concussion and a contusion on his left lung. He also has soft tissue damages on his hip, chest, left knee and shoulder, and also on his back. Furthermore, he has a very deep wound 5cm wide on his left elbow that reaches his muscles, which causes a lot of pain and a problem moving his arm. Tony Martin will join the rest of the team tonight after today's examinations. Any decision on his participation at the second stage of the Tour de France will be taken after considering how the clinical situation evolves during the night.

OPQS would like to thank the medical service of the Tour de France, as well as the medical staff of the hospital in Bastia for their help and support."

So basically if there is a doctor with some sense Tony will be out of the Tour. I mean a concussion isn't something you can just shrug off, neither are lung injuries. I know cyclists are tough, but I hope the doctor gets to take the decision and not the rider itself.

King Boonen said:
That's a bit unfair. He probably thought he had 5 km until he needed to be at the front, then he suddenly hears it's 2km to the finish. Of course he's going to have to try get to the front, yellow was on the line.

As I said before, he caused it, he wasn't at fault though.

Unfair? I'm not blaming him or anything, these things inevitably happen in cycling. I was just stating something.

Dutchsmurf said:
So basically if there is a doctor with some sense Tony will be out of the Tour. I mean a concussion isn't something you can just shrug off, neither are lung injuries. I know cyclists are tough, but I hope the doctor gets to take the decision and not the rider itself.

I hope not. That would be a serious breach of the ethical code. Maybe a team manager should take him out, but doctors cannot make that decision.

TRENDING THREADS