2013 Tour de France, Stage 2: Bastia - Ajaccio 156Km

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2013
79
0
0
Carols said:
But it was the same attack, yes????
He made from the front group, yes. It makes little difference in how stupid it was whether you think it was a separate attack or not. The most pointless waste of energy of the day medal is clearly his.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
cycladianpirate said:
Come on! If there had been a fall in the bunch behind him, we'd all be going on about how clever he was to put himself out of danger. I get the impression that this is a guy with plenty in his legs. If you can reduce risks without it costing too much, why not do so?
Me too,but still he doesnt know how good are Valverde's,Contador's,Evans etc legs.He is a bit over-confident imo.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
Wow, yesterday I said "good to see a fresh face, a young up-and-comer", and now this! Bakelants in his first ever Tour, second stage, and already wins and gets yellow - what a story! I am glad Guercilena selected him - I hope this makes them realize that this is what can happen when you leave some of the oldies at home and take some young guns who can actually win stages! No disrespect for Popovych but I couldn't have seen him pull this off. Devolder maybe - he was in great shape too - but it is futile to speculate.

I listened to his interview on the Belgian TV channel "La Une" and it was in English simultneously interpreted into French so I can't be sure, but I think he said that Flecha didn't chase him back because he prefered someone from the group to win rather than someone from the peloton. He also said - and this I am certain of - that he thought of his roommate Jensie while he was powering towards the line! This is just one of many reasons why Jensie deserved his spot in the team - the positive influence he has on younger riders.

Congratulations to Bakelants, enjoy your time in the yellow jersey!
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Christian said:
Wow, yesterday I said "good to see a fresh face, a young up-and-comer", and now this! Bakelants in his first ever Tour, second stage, and already wins and gets yellow - what a story! I am glad Guercilena selected him - I hope this makes them realize that this is what can happen when you leave some of the oldies at home and take some young guns who can actually win stages! No disrespect for Popovych but I couldn't have seen him pull this off. Devolder maybe - he was in great shape too - but it is futile to speculate.

I listened to his interview on the Belgian TV channel "La Une" and it was in English simultneously interpreted into French so I can't be sure, but I think he said that Flecha didn't chase him back because he prefered someone from the group to win rather than someone from the peloton. He also said - and this I am certain of - that he thought of his roommate Jensie while he was powering towards the line! This is just one of many reasons why Jensie deserved his spot in the team - the positive influence he has on younger riders.

Congratulations to Bakelants, enjoy your time in the yellow jersey!
Yes, he did say that, but he said it about Chavanel.
 
bolingbroke said:
He made from the front group, yes. It makes little difference in how stupid it was whether you think it was a separate attack or not. The most pointless waste of energy of the day medal is clearly his.
Okay :) You're the one that said 'He got the jersey before the attack I'm referring to' so I thought I missed something. It was his continuing on that was the waste of energy which I agree with.
 
May 14, 2013
79
0
0
Carols said:
Okay :) You're the one that said 'He got the jersey before the attack I'm referring to' so I thought I missed something. It was his continuing on that was the waste of energy which I agree with.
I was responding to someone with a Froome prejudice flippantly calling him stupider than the dog for his attack then going on to big up Rolland's Alp D'Huez chances. Just needed to point out his favourites are if anything more "stupid".
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
Personally I was very happy to see Froome attack, that is already 1 attack more than Wiggins made last year :D
 
Feb 22, 2011
547
0
0
Carols said:
Hence my 'hubris' remark :)
OK, make your mind up! One post you're saying it wasn't a poor choice to attack, the next you're saying he should be more cautious...

I really wouldn't equate what Froome did today with, say, Ryder's early charges in the Giro which fizzled out pretty quickly. I'll go back to what I said originally. He could get to the front of the descent without much bother at all and chose to do so to minimise risks. Sound play.

OK, so today it all amounted to nothing, but it was a tricky descent. Had there been a crash, he would have been universally acclaimed as 'shrewd'.
 
Sep 8, 2009
15,305
1
0
nesocip said:
Likable fellow, probably one of the best winner interviews i ever saw.
indeed. i wonder what is that guy doing there, riding a bike?:confused::p nice interview and fantastic win. makes you jump in the front of the tv. of course i thought too that he was irizar:eek:

overall, another fantastic stage. corsica is just the best start ever i think in terms of landscapes for a grand tour. awesome

europcar showed us today a preview for the pyrenees with voeckler-rolland and mighty guatier in great form. tomorrow they are gonna attack again i'm sure

chapeau also to fdj for the ballistic pace and to froomey! he will win tomorrow if he wants too.
 
Jun 22, 2011
349
0
0
So how come at the top of the GC the standings are being determined by aggregate positions over the two stages, when times are the same. But at the bottom end of the GC not - the last 50 and lantern rouge are solely as they finished today?
 
Feb 22, 2011
547
0
0
Bavarianrider said:
Tony Martin wasn't dropped, he had to wait for Cavendish:mad::mad:

He says that he actually felt pretty good and thinks he would have been able to finish with the first group.

Damn stupid Omega:mad::mad:
But that's GOOD news surely. If Tony can fully recover and get into shape for the ITTs, his Tour is back on track isn't it?
 
Jun 12, 2010
519
0
0
jens_attacks said:
indeed. i wonder what is that guy doing there, riding a bike?:confused::p nice interview and fantastic win. makes you jump in the front of the tv. of course i thought too that he was irizar:eek:
From the radioshak website:
On the personal side, Bakelants holds a Bachelor degree in Bioscience Engineering and trained for cycling at the Vlaamse Wielerschool (Flemish Cycling School) where he immediately showed his quality all-around cycling skills.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
Haven't watched the stage yet (had my own race :)), but awesome to see Bakelants took it! He's one of the absolute last guys I expected to win today. Seriously a great win! :) Leopard is already having a better Tour then they had last year.
 
May 14, 2013
79
0
0
Bavarianrider said:
Tony Martin wasn't dropped, he had to wait for Cavendish:mad::mad:

He says that he actually felt pretty good and thinks he would have been able to finish with the first group.

Damn stupid Omega:mad::mad:
What does it matter? Martin isn't a GC contender he's there to win the TT stages and otherwise help Cavandish.
 
bolingbroke said:
What does it matter? Martin isn't a GC contender he's there to win the TT stages and otherwise help Cavandish.
He hoped to be in yellow.

He can help Cavendish when it makes sense?

But on this stage? What does it help Cavendish if he has 3 or 4 guys riding with him in the Gruppetto. That doen't affect Cavendish or help him at all. Totally pointless. It's a bike race. You simply don't waste your riders chances for absolutely no gain.
 
Bavarianrider said:
He hoped to be in yellow.

He can help Cavendish when it makes sense?

But on this stage? What does it help Cavendish if he has 3 or 4 guys riding with him in the Gruppetto. That doen't affect Cavendish or help him at all. Totally pointless. It's a bike race. You simply don't waste your riders chances for absolutely no gain.
Cav was one of the first to get dropped today. He probably needed Tony's help to make sure he caught the gruppetto.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY