• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de Suisse, Stage 2: Quinto - Crans Montana 160Km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Surprising stage. Mollema wins, Van Garderen and Costa got dropped, bold attack from Garmin and Meyer survived. Wouldn't have guessed that beforehand. Good start of TdS.

pastronef said:
lately in every race thread I see, I read "bore" "boring" "snooze" etc.

remember what happened to the not boring Pantani or Riccò or Santi Perez and so on?

we cannot ask for a Fuente De or a Tirreno rainy stage every day. that's what we get these days.

Some users obviously believe every mountain stage should be like Finestre 2005! :D

staubsauger said:
Some users obviously believe every mountain stage should be like Finestre 2005! :D

today I liked both stages in Suisse and Dauphine even if they were not so epic:

nice win from a breakaway for the Cannondale guy, Talansky 3rd from nowhere after a bad week, Dennis on white jersey, Contador very generous waiting for Rogers

Big win for Mollema, great attack by Ryder (his form his back), Costa and TJ distanced, Meyer holding on.

surely if Schleck won or Gilbert won these would have been big shows, but we can't get royal wins so often

pastronef said:

remember what happened to the not boring Pantani or Riccò or Santi Perez and so on?

we cannot ask for a Fuente De or a Tirreno rainy stage every day. that's what we get these days.

I don't expect to see races like that every week. The point is that MTF's often make for boring racing nowadays, as opposed to hilly stages for example.

pastronef said:

There has to be a middle ground between epic and 35+ people together with 3km to go.

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I might be wrong but it looked to me like TJVG did a pull on the front of the yellow jersey group when the attacks from Mollema etc went off, perhaps after his poor prologue they switched to Frank and he was just playing the team roll then peeled off

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Ruudz0r said:
janibrajkovic‏@janibrajkovic11m
@ammattipyoraily today no method will work, lots of wind. In headwind sections im sure i was saving 40+W

So a really strong effort by Hesjedal

I just saw a recording and noticed the wind as well. Hesjedal must have known that attacking early on that climb was not the best option for gaining time. It makes me think he just wanted to test himself and go really deep to check that his health problems were over.