• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de Suisse, Stage 9: Bad Ragaz - Flumserberg 26.8 Km

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Very nice TT/MTT, great concept they should use more often. TdS was far more exciting to watch then Dauphine, but that's almost every year the case.
Surprised to see Van Garderen crack on that climb, I seriously doubt if Bmc can play a role in the GC in the Tour, Evans is too old and did the Giro and TJ lacks a bit in the mountains it seems. Mollema on the other hand again very strong. But Rui Costa clearly the best, Movistar has a great team for the Tour, hopefully strong enough to crack most of the skyborgs. Looking forward to a nice Spanish combinada in the Tour.

search said:
he crashed the day before

yep, the time for the flat part on matsport is rounded to 20'47 although it was 20'47"91.

you can see it in the official results:

Intermediate 1 -> Intermediate 2 -> Finish

Edit: the rounding-error has a different origin, it's due to it's relation to van Garderen's time, but anyway, you get the point. But I don't know if he changed bikes before the climb, his time on the flat part was so poor he might have done it on a road bike.

Thanks a lot! :)

Jason_Mercier said:
Tejay is the better TT'er by far and doesnt count as a contender. Even arriving at Suisse after an exhibition in the TT of California.

Then people say he's not underestimated:eek::eek:

Also Mollema counts and Pinot not... why? I dont know. Maybe i have to remember it's a MTT.

Here are two guys super overrated, which are Costa and Mollema, and other two guys which are "hated" (not the correct word though,, but you can understand) by some unknown reason. And this is not all caused by the comment of Parrulo...

still funny

but not as good as

Pippo_San said:
I guess the comparison isn't too farfetched, really.
He's gonna get this one.

Anyway Costa and TGBM are definitely way too overrated in here. While TGBM I can understand, what with the Dutch mafia and whatever, on the other hand Costa is so much hyped it's almost ridiculous.

Poor Roman. He thought his engine was bigger than Nibbles'. :rolleyes: And now he can't even win a Suisse anymore, not even with such a crappy field...

Lol. Poor Pippo_san.

Dazed and Confused said:
gotta be a way to try and get his TT'ing a bit better on the flat one would think.
Apparently he held back a bit for the climb. Which seems to have been a good idea. Actually I thought his TT position on the flat looked uncharacteristically good, he's definitely trained on it.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
To be fair, he only failed to pick the winner of a tallest pigmy competition.
Yes, we know that this isn't a race the British Knights take very seriously, however the rest of the peloton do.

theyoungest said:
Yes, we know that this isn't a race the British Knights take very seriously, however the rest of the peloton do.

Nope, non of the top 5, non of whom are more than nominally British, have deigned to race.

I mean really, you can't contest that this is a race for 2nd tier guys at the moment. Most of the 'leaders' here are prepping for domestique work next month.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Lol. Poor Pippo_san.

Did I say they would've finished outside the podium in this TdS? I said they're WAY too much overrated. And I still stand by what I said.

They'll be slaughtered like pigs at the Tour. :rolleyes:

(in comparison, considering how young he is, Pinot should be hyped much much more - Costa&TGBM 1986 / Pinot 1990)

Dazed and Confused said:
Well, it clearly worked for him, but it ain't looking all pretty, at least to me.
I said on the flat. On the climb he looked as awkward as ever.

Pippo_San said:
Did I say they would've finished outside the podium in this TdS? I said they're WAY too much overrated. And I still stand by what I said.

They'll be slaughtered like pigs at the Tour. :rolleyes:
Who overrates Costa or Mollema? No one says they will win the TDF.

(in comparison, considering how young he is, Pinot should be hyped much much more - Costa&TGBM 1986 / Pinot 1990)
Mollema started cycling at age 18, and has been out for a season with mono. Age is just relative.

theyoungest said:
Who overrates Costa or Mollema? No one says they will win the TDF.

Exactly, i don't understand how can a guy like Jason Mercier that likes to predict which 20 year old will be the future dominator of cycling can say that when we say an established cyclist like Costa or Mollema are favourites to win a 1 week race we are overrating them.

taiwan said:
True, they don't have an answer to Froome though.

Top 5 possible for Costa?

Umm, Froome and Valverde like hot weather, but if is really hot, Valverde is capable of anything.

But yes, for me Froome is the strongest clearly.. maybe Purito, or even Andy could climb better, but he is stronger in ITT.

Valverde could take advantage as he took in Fuente De, but he has difficult to win.. podium is more possible, but you dont know with him...he could be 8th or podium...

Movistar has Castroviejo as well

For me Costa is a good rider, not just for a week, maybe for three weeks,.. someone today put the example of Vino in other forum, he was similar, he didn´t look as a big Tour contender, but, clinic issues apart, he was able do it...

But, I thing he was very strong here, he is at his best, and he is going to help, I dont see Porte in the top 5, so Costa the same...I see better Mollema, he must improve still, but... the luck will be important, no problems the first days... and if you are not a lider, you have more chances for problems...

Mollema was very strong last Tour, but he had bad luck, and his Tour was anonymous, when other way he would have played a roll similar to JVdB.

If Rui Costa get a breakaway and take time, who knows... top five is possible, I see him similar to Voeckler.

Top five, yes, but... why not Cunego, why not VdB, why not Rolland, why not TVG, Pinot,...? and all the favourites: Froome, Contador, Valverde, Purito, Evans,...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
pretty much expected result
Costa the best allround.

Mollema lost nearly all his time on the flat bit.

Yes a few days ago Costa was in the slot to win the race knowing how well he TTs. Mollema rode well and Frank rode with a lot of heart but not good enough in the TT. TJVG disappointing TT, Kreuziger reasonable compared to other recent TTs. Pinot good. Decent top 10 for Meyer. The heat in the TT possibly bothered Frank as well. Andy did his usual ride. Also a win for Swiss tourism with the great weather and pictures after the weather nightmare that was the Giro. I have a feeling that Pinot will be the one that performs in the Tour coming out of this race but not enough to make the podium.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I am sad about Frank losing his podium spot, but I was half expecting it. Costa should not be underestimated. I see him doing a top 10 gc, ahead of Valverde.

auscyclefan94 said:
I am sad about Frank losing his podium spot, but I was half expecting it. Costa should not be underestimated. I see him doing a top 10 gc, ahead of Valverde.

Frank still had a good week overall,he will be needed come the vuelta.Costa was just awesome,probably the best he's been so far.I was also impressed by Pinot,looking good for the TDF.Still hoping Tejay proves that last years tdf was only a steppiong stone towards this years podium?what ya think Aus?P.S:really like your signature:)