• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour of California: Stage 1: Escondido - Escondido (165 km)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thanks to those who responded - tomorrow it is! We can make it out in plenty of time to see the start, and it is an easy drive from there to the finish. We might even be able to catch an intermediate mountain point.

We are both more than used to the heat, lol - long time AZ residents. Tomorrow will actually be a little chilly ;-) I was a competitive Highland dancer for many years, and we used to love it when the California people came out (all coastal folks) - they just couldn't handle the heat. Should help give some of the local riders an edge.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Escondido is a very poor area. I'm not sure why they are even sponsoring the race. Even the teams are staying 10K south in the Rancho Bernardo area of San Diego which is nice area. (thats where I live :D ) Overall the roads in SoCal are pretty bad.

Jancouver said:
Mucho Hispanics too :D

Wow. Just wow. Pretty much what I'd expect someone from [sticks nose in the air] Rancho Bernardo to say.

Glad you got your autographs while slumming it in the town I now call home. Now go away. But make sure you cherry-pick and take away more free stuff before doing so.

For the record, ToC officials asked Escondido to submit a bid to host the start. A gracious donation from poor Escondido residents David and Rebecca Vigil helped make it happen.

"Mr. Vigil, a 1979 graduate of Escondido High and a Sr. Vice-President at Qualcomm, is a longtime cycling enthusiast and has logged many miles on the same roads AMGEN Tour pros will race. He and his wife Rebecca, a 1978 graduate of San Pasqual High, were major supporters of Escondido’s final stage of the 2009 AMGEN Tour of California."

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Spank226 said:
Glad you got your autographs while slumming it in the town I now call home. Now go away. But make sure you cherry-pick and take away more free stuff before doing so.

Amigo, those are my own jerseys I personally bought and PAID for ... no freebies!

If you knew anything about cycling, you would know those are some older jerseys I collected over the years and was waiting for a long time to have them signed. Plus I doubt any team would be giving away free signed jerseys.

If you would also read the entire thread, you would notice that this was not a racial insult but just an explanation of the local area.

... and the reality is that Escondido doesnt even have one decent hotel that's why all the teams and officials were forced to stay in San Diego. They would do better if they fixed the roads in stead of sponsoring this or any event.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Spank226 said:
Wow. Just wow. Pretty much what I'd expect someone from [sticks nose in the air] Rancho Bernardo to say.

For the record, ToC officials asked Escondido to submit a bid to host the start. A gracious donation from poor Escondido residents David and Rebecca Vigil helped make it happen.

"Mr. Vigil, a 1979 graduate of Escondido High and a Sr. Vice-President at Qualcomm, is a longtime cycling enthusiast and has logged many miles on the same roads AMGEN Tour pros will race. He and his wife Rebecca, a 1978 graduate of San Pasqual High, were major supporters of Escondido’s final stage of the 2009 AMGEN Tour of California."

Yea, yet everyone rides to/through Escondido, its well known to riders and if you actually ride through some of the neighborhoods you do see the money ;), the outskirts were most of the rides go through are poor-ish but then again one street over from the regular ride paths you see some mansions with horses and things like that, farms but very nice ones.

Escondido put up the money (with backers) back in 2009 to re-host the ToC so did Oceanside, which other SD County City even thought about it? Don't think they're poor minded.

l.Harm said:
Vacansoleil is wearing a special jersey for this edition, in the colours of Bianchi (bike sponsor). Why? No single idea.

Apparently Bianchi is why Vacansoleil is racing in CA. I couldn't figure out why they would send a team, much less a good team when they don't have too many American sponsors (Lizard Skins is the only one I could think of). This weekend there was a team rep at an event and he mentioned Bianchi wanted them out here.

Parrulo said:
cycling rule #137: no piece of equipment coloured bianchi blue shall ever be considered anything other then awesome

:p

+1!!!!!

Spank226 said:

Escondido's been trying to step up in the sports world for a while now between the TOC and their attempts with AAA baseball and the Chargers. At least the TOC acknowledges their support. I thought the City did a pretty good job with laying out the event.

TRENDING THREADS