• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour of California: Stage 6: San Jose TT (31 km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
TEJAY...VAN...GARDEREN!!!! :D

Awesome win! I don't care how much people say he is over hyped and doubt him, it's great to see him win today. Very happy that he is finally on the verge of taking his first (of many ;)) stage race wins.

Afrank said:
TEJAY...VAN...GARDEREN!!!! :D

Awesome win! I don't care how much people say he is over hyped and doubt him, it's great to see him win today. Very happy that he is finally on the verge of taking his first (of many ;)) stage race wins.

I don't get the hate for him. He's still a youngster, and is a very talented stage racer. He's been improving every year. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Moviefan1203 said:
I don't get the hate for him. He's still a youngster, and is a very talented stage racer. He's been improving every year. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Agree, I can see why some think he is over hyped and all that. But he still has a lot of talent (5th and white jersey at the Tour de France (while working for Evans for part of it) at the age of 23 is no small feat); and I'm sure he'll be able to contend in future stage races and GT's.

Moviefan1203 said:

I haven't seen much hate for him around here...more indifference and thoughts of him being overrated by some.

Pretty much the same you get for most GC guys who are good TTers and can climb but are steady instead of having an attacking style. Guys who will finish high on GC but rarely win a mtf.

As you say, he improves a little every year.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
winkybiker said:
They let the girls ride the course first. It didn't always work out so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbJd3nhtaK0

Dam, that's got to hurt. Hope she's okay.

Oh and, small thing, but saying "they let the girls ride the course first didn't work out so well" sounds a little diminishing of what the women are capable of, when a crash like that could happen to anyone. Probably not your intention but felt it should be said the crash isn't indicative of what the women are capable of.

Anyways, anyone know if she is hurt? This article is all I could find on it, and it doesn't provide much info. http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/05/news/stevens-wins-amgen-tour-womens-time-trial_287291

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I think that wreck was the most I've ever been entertained by anything that has happened in women's cycling, and it will possibly be the only entertaining thing I will ever see short of them stripping and riding naked.

Afrank said:
Probably not your intention but felt it should be said the crash isn't indicative of what the women are capable of.

True enough. I also hope she's OK. No info readily available, though. Which is sad enough in itself. If Gilbert, for example, had done the same thing we'd know exactly how he was.

I almost had an identical crash last summer. Almost grazed the bank, but luckily didn't smack it like Amber did. But only mm in it. Easy to do. Be careful out there, folks.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Well... I'll admit that I'm a bit confused as to when a first-stage ITT is considered a prologue, and when it's simply a first stage that happens to be a ITT.
But... am I right that that commentator just thought that something six days into the race is a prologue? :eek:

That's not what I was talking about. He said Sagan was good in a ITT because of his performance last year in tour de Suisse.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
asdfgh101 said:
TVG fastest up climb by some margin, Chavanel slowest of top 10 by far, everyone else fairly closely grouped (all from memory).
TJVG already had 1:02 on Rogers at the first split. I don't know exactly where that split was taken, but TJ certainly didn't climb much faster than Rogers. He did go up on his TT bike though.