• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour of California

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
manafana said:
Standing by my TVG to win this field not what it has been in past seasons.

mount dibalo is stepe right? which completely rules out tjvg as winner. my bet is acevedo. the itt suits him and he's a monster climber.

Ferminal said:
Yep, will be bigger gaps there for sure.

Hopefully the tarmac holds up in the heat.

melting tarmac can't be good for the bigger and heavier guys.

How much time will TJVG need to take in the TT to be able to win this thing?

Stage 6 tt:

profile-06.jpg

Dazed and Confused said:
plenty, I count 4. Maybe not all Guardini/Bos style stuff.

I agree. There's a lot of talk about the ToC being difficult this year, but looking at the stage profiles I think at least 3 stages will end up in a sprint with a large part of the peloton. Only stage 7 appears really difficult. Even the TT, which is hillier than normal, is not super difficult given the fact that Zabriskie was able to win on the same course in 2006.

Parel van het Zuiden said:
I agree. There's a lot of talk about the ToC being difficult this year, but looking at the stage profiles I think at least 3 stages will end up in a sprint with a large part of the peloton. Only stage 7 appears really difficult. Even the TT, which is hillier than normal, is not super difficult given the fact that Zabriskie was able to win on the same course in 2006.

If your talking about the San Jose TT in 2006, Floyd won it (DZ second) and the course was different, same start, but different finish.

The course uses the first 90 per cent of the 2006 TT’s route but with a vicious sting in the tail – the 2.7km, 290m climb up Metcalf Road, averaging a leg-sapping 10.6 per cent.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-of-california-2013/stage-6

2006 San Jose TT Profile:
profile3.gif

2013 San Jose TT Profile:
2013atocprofilestage_6_670.jpg

I've heard from a friend in San Jose that that climb is a beast.

Equipment selection could be interesting.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

I think at least 3 stages will end up in a sprint with a large part of the peloton.

I wouldn't call it "at least" but "maybe". I think there will be good gaps after the first two stages and the race will be more aggressive because of that. Even some of the "easier" stages have climbs where most of the pack could be dropped.

My three predictions for stage 1.

- Crashes on descend from Mesa Grande. That road is dangerous!

- Attacks on Palomar. They are climbing Palomar from the east, the easier side but some of the bottom sections are around 10%. It is a long 18km (45min) drag with 800m gain. Descend from Palomar will be fast but the road is much better than Mesa Grande.

- Attacks on Cole Grade. about 3.5km climb averaging 8% with steeper bottom. That area is always HOT so 35C is expected.

If we dont have successful break similar to Nibali/F.Schleck in 2009 I would expect max 20-30 riders to finish together. This stage has more climbing than the 2009 edition, but again, they were doing the Palomar from south, which is harder.

El Oso said:
If your talking about the San Jose TT in 2006, Floyd won it (DZ second) and the course was different, same start, but different finish.

You're right. DZ was second behind Landis. With this profile maybe climbers with a decent time trial like Busche could aim high (besides the likes of Van Garderen, Westra, Chavanel). I wonder whether Zabriskie is already at a competitive level.

El Oso said:

You're right. DZ was second behind Landis. With this profile maybe climbers with a decent time trial like Busche could aim high (besides the likes of Van Garderen, Westra, Chavanel). I wonder whether Zabriskie is already at a competitive level.

Zabriskie has zero chance to win this race.

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm all for Jensie getting the first jersey number, but if Gesink and Rabobank aren't back this year and Zabreskie/Danielson placed 2/3 for Garmin last year, shouldn't Garmin get the 1-8 numbers?

It will be interesting to see which sprinters will be protected as several teams bring 2 sprinters such as Vacansoleil (Boeckmans and Van Poppel), UnitedHealthcare (Keough and Ilesic) and Optum (Hanson and Candelario). They will probably face Farrar, Sagan, Matthews, Meersman, Hushovd and perhaps Pipp.

It will be interesting to see which sprinters will be protected as several teams bring 2 sprinters such as Vacansoleil (Boeckmans and Van Poppel), UnitedHealthcare (Keough and Ilesic) and Optum (Hanson and Candelario). They will probably face Farrar, Sagan, Matthews, Meersman, Hushovd and perhaps Pipp.

Boeckmans and Hanson, not sure about main UnitedHealthcare sprinter

Just saw the press conference...Love Jens...talks a lot of sense...I liked that circle of cycling example... you should see it to get some idea...funny guy !

Peter Sagan seemed the most confused / disinterested in the whole bunch lol...didnt know what to do !...

TRENDING THREADS