• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour of Qatar (3rd-8th February), 2.HC

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Der Effe said:
As for Blanco, aren't they invited or are they just ignoring this race? I hope for the latter, as European and US based teams (Aussie teams too tbh) should be ignoring snoozefests like these. Wanna race on the other side of the world? Then give Australia some more races, they actually have been producing top cyclists for some time now. I can't imagine one team being really happy about having just to cycle this race knowing they're Pat's b**tch.

You can't be more wrong. The race is not a boring snoozefest as you suggest and Cobbed classics contenders love to ride here as a build up for the cobbled races.

KarottenKarl said:
Are there bonus seconds? Will a sprinter be winner in the end?
Yes. Probably a strong, surviving sprinter who can get some bonus seconds and never lose out in the crosswinds. E.g. Degenkolb, Haussler, EBH or Bennati. The purer sprinters, like Cavendish or Guardini, are usually dropped in the crosswinds on one or several stages.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:
Yes. Probably a strong, surviving sprinter who can get some bonus seconds and never lose out in the crosswinds. E.g. Degenkolb, Haussler, EBH or Bennati. The purer sprinters, like Cavendish or Guardini, are usually dropped in the crosswinds on one or several stages.

:p He doesn't get dropped all the time, and he showed good form in San Luis.

It's clear to me who's gonna win MSR, if you see this next week:

cav-finish-2080871.jpg

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
karaev said:
Sagan will win MSR! It is known!

the race is tailor made for him. He can drop everyone apart from cancellara in the descent and whoever he arrives to the finish with will get cooked in the sprint. For the likes of cavendish and boonen, they ll probably get dropped during the poggio.

back to qatar now.

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Some intersting odds for Tour of Qatar winner

17.00 Degenkolb

41.00 Modollo

3.75 Cav

5.50 Hagen

101.0 Breaschel

51.00 Bouhani

101.0 Viviani

Any sugestions for who I should spend my money on?

Also some stage 1 duels look good like Guardini 2.60 odss to beat Viviani

Phinney to beat Gearint 1.95

Bennati 2.10 to beat Haussler

Hagen 2.50/Degenkolb 1.50

Cav1.30 /Modolo 3.40

This are the most intersting but here are the complete list http://www.bet365.com/home/FlashGen4...&cb=1088164932 and http://ro.unibet.com/betting#/group/.../category/1235

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
You can't be more wrong. The race is not a boring snoozefest as you suggest and Cobbed classics contenders love to ride here as a build up for the cobbled races.

It's not like they have so many other options, isn't it? It's all about the money, in 10 years they'll be racing on the moon. The rule should always be that in order to get races, you will have to produce decent athletes first.

Der Effe said:
It's not like they have so many other options, isn't it? It's all about the money, in 10 years they'll be racing on the moon. The rule should always be that in order to get races, you will have to produce decent athletes first.

You wont get athletes without the races and above all you wont get races without money.

karaev said:
Any sugestions for who I should spend my money on?

Well, for what it's worth, I'm wasting my money on Breschel (101ew) and Offredo (201ew). They'll both probably lose 10-20 secs in the TTT and it's their first races of the year (Offredo's first in a year) - so there's two reasons not to follow me, but they're both talented guys. Looking forward to see if Riis can weave his magic and get Matti back to where he once was.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Der Effe said:

Qatar has a warm climate, but unlike your precious TDU it's not TOO WARM.
Qatar is only a few hours difference with Europe, unlike your precious TDU. You won't feel the jetlag.
Qatar is raced HARD because of the echelons, unlike the TDU which is boring. An uphill sprint on Willunga hill doesn't change that.
In Qatar the big names like Cancellara, Boonen, Cavendish, etc race to win. In the TDU they barely do anything.
Qatar didn't pay MILLIONS for Lance Armstrong to come to their event, TDU did.
Qatar has been the ideal preparation for the spring classics for years now. Much better preparation race than the TDU. Results don't lie.

Without loads of money the Tour Down Under would be nowhere. At least Qatar didn't buy WT status. They let the race grow over the years. Now teams come to them asking for invitations, not the other way around.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Nice post Pisti. Qatar is one of the best early season races. Even the Giro stage starting on the freaking Gavia won't be split into 10 groups after 3km like one of the Qatar stages last year.

I agree with him that Qatar is a good preparation race for classics riders.

Personally I'm glad the TDU and Oman also exist. Definately not the most prestigious races, but I was happy with the racing I got to see in Down Under this year.