• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013: US world championships (?)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
90% sure the 2013 worlds will be held in the US. This could be a great thing for the sport. I still hope to see a US world cup one of the next years...

Nys already stated he is willing to postpone his retirement, only to ride this championship.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If the UCI wants it in the U.S. it will happen. Kentuky wouldn't be my first choice of spots but I would be there.

http://translate.google.com/transla...en/article.html?Article_ID=415034&sl=nl&tl=en

I think you might see some manufacturers step up and help with the cost. It is always good for North American cycling to have World Cups/World Championships to boost bike sales. (unfortunately the U.S's biggest bike manufacturers are barely involved in Cross).

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Having lived in Louisville for 20 years and raced cross there, I know that Louisville would be a great host city for the Worlds. It's central location would allow a lot of people from around the country to come. I know most people don't think of Louisville as a big cross city, however, it's number of racers and racers nearly doubles every year. Plus it hosts one of the USGP events. The city itself would support the race and there are several local businesses that would love to get involved, especially Papa Johns Pizza, who has been sponsoring cycling for years now. There are a couple different venues they could use for the race, but I know whichever they decide on, they will develop a worldclass course. I really hope the city gets the date. It would be awesome.

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
it would be a good thing for (the globalisaton of) CX ...

Adri (Van der Poel) was interviewed in my local newspaper today & spoke out on the dominance of Belgian/Flemish riders & the Flemish organisers ...

we need at least one weekend a month that is free of Flemish (top)crosses, so races abroad (Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Italy or the Czech Republic) can organise races and attract top crossers ...

it would be cool to see a world cup organised in the US too but is their enough (private) financial support to do this??

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Louisville awarded 2013 cross worlds

usgp09dcc1244.jpg

UCI awarded Louisville, Kentucky to host the 2013 'cross worlds'

The cyclocross world championships will be held in the United States for the first time in 2013 :cool:

Read more: http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/01/news/louisville-awarded-2013-’cross-worlds_103288

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Question is, will they charge fans to watch? We have this thing in the US in which we expect to watch these these things for nothing. (Unless, of course, you choose to watch from the beer garden. :D) I honestly hope they at least charge a nominal fee to watch. I'm thinkin' $10 a head. Nobody in Europe watches for free, why should we?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure the UCI are squeezing every drop of revenue from running the event in the US. UCI WC events here cost around €10 or approx $14 at current ROE. Still seems good vfm to me. What do you guys think about that price point?

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:
I hear a lot of Belgian fans are already planning bustrips :D

That would be those new Sabena nautical busses I hear they have in the planning stages right now...after living in Belgie for over a decade, the sight of thousands of drunken Flemish cyclocross fans descending upon Kentucky is something I just might plan to see...

TRENDING THREADS