• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Volta ao Algarve (14th-17th February), 2.1

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Christian said:
I went to see the ITT yesterday in Tavira, and it was a nice experience. I was positively surprised by the amount of people who turned out. First it wasn't that many but by the end there was quite a crowd. Granted, it was Sunday, but I had been to the ITT of Paris-Nice two years ago and there were very few people, so I wasn't expecting much at all.

We stood at the finish and the nice thing was that they had put the barriers really close together so you were very close to the riders. I had also been to the prologue of the Tour 2006 in Strasbourg, and there it had been large boulevards so if you were on the wrong side you were screwed.

Overall the organization seemed really good, except for the fact that they didn't have an announcer like in the French races. Also there was nothing that showed the time of the riders, so you were left guessing. In this particular case the suspense wasn't too high of course, but it would have still been nice to get some updates.

The ambiance was pretty good, especially when the local riders from the Tavira team came by. A lot of you will probably know this but I was surprised to see that basically none of the continental teams had TT bikes. Some of them had TT handlebars, a lot of them didn't even have those. I just thought I'd mention it so you consider that when you look at the results. The demographics of the spectators were quite mixed, a lot of old men but also children, both were making a lot of noice and having fun. Also some Dutch, Germans and mostly Brits, there seem to be a lot of Brits living in Tavira.

After the race, the ambiance at the winner's ceremony was quite good too, even though no Portuguese had won. Rui Costa was up there though and he had his fanclub along who made noise. I was very pleasantly surprised by Tony Martin. I had never seen him this up close and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy, joking on the podium with Kwiatkowski, and very friendly while talking to fans. Definitely seems like a top bloke.

Since this was such a small event, everything was very accessible too. A lot of riders walked right past us, such as Boaro for example and Nizzolo. Oliveira was driving the Radioshack team car afterwards, I think him and Zubeldia went and got it while they waited for Nizzolo and Azevedo.

Overall I had a great time and I am happy I went! People in this town were also very friendly, I had a good bifana sandwich but unfortunately no Super Bock :( Next time!

I will now post some pictures. I have a lot of them, unfortunately I rarely know which rider it was because I didn't have a startlist and most of them I don't recognize :eek: I have a normal digital camera, nothing professional.
Cool story and nice read :)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Cool story and nice read :)

Thanks! Here are some more pictures:

DSC01712.jpg

DSC01716.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
In 2011 Uran got 18th in the Dauphine ITT, so I wouldn't say he sucks.

last year in final giro itt when it mattered he was horrible, while as only 19 years old he already won a itt in pro field with unibet in euskal bizikleta, he was always a massive itt talent but with caisse he lost it all, now hopefully is getting back

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
rui costa on the malhão with his father running and cheering for him behind.

thought it would be a cool pic to share

Thx Parrulo, great picture. Couldn't see any Schleck doing this right now, neither father nor son(s).....

Parrulo said:

Great picture, I'm a big fan of Rui Costa and not just because he's portuguese: I like tactics and smart racing and he's great in that regard. Just like Pirlo in football: why running if I can play just walking around the field? :p I like that souplesse . Also he seemed like a great guy the only time I saw him.

Ryo Hazuki said:
last year in final giro itt when it mattered he was horrible, while as only 19 years old he already won a itt in pro field with unibet in euskal bizikleta, he was always a massive itt talent but with caisse he lost it all, now hopefully is getting back

In that euzkal.bizkleta tt the last 12 guys weren't allowed to start because of.rain.

Parrulo said:
377608_561927770486246_1836815296_n.jpg

Great pic. I think I saw Machado's girlfriend (?) absolutely screaming at him on Malhao as he was drifting back towards the pack after initially going with Henao and Rui Costa. Felt a bit sorry for him.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
In that euzkal.bizkleta tt the last 12 guys weren't allowed to start because of.rain.

so? the best itt guys had already started and finished. he still beat isidro nozal and santos gonzalez and many others, who were very strong in that era

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
377608_561927770486246_1836815296_n.jpg

Rui Costa will podium Tour this year, i have no doubts about that

TRENDING THREADS