• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 10: Torredelcampo → Alto Hazallanas (186,8 km)

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 10: Torredelcampo → Alto Hazallanas (186,8 km)

10_perfil.png

Climbs:

http://www.altimetrias.net/Granada/Purche.gif

Only until El Dornajo.
http://unavueltamejor.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/perfil-sabinas3.png

etp10.gif

Weather: The weather will be sunny in all this route again, with only some clouds at the end in Sierra Nevada.

Winds: The wind will be light in this day. It will blow from the East in almost all this itinerary, that is to say it will be contrary from the departure to Huelma, from right side later as far as Torre Cardela, favourable some kms more later, contrary at general later from Atarfe to Granada and favourable for the cyclists in the two last mountain highs finally.

Temperatures: 27ºC at the start, increasing progressively up to 33ºC in “The Vega of Granada” and decreasing to 25 y 23ºC in the summits of the final highs of the stage. Dry air.

SafeBet said:
Can't be a Unipublic stage, way too many climbs in the final 50 kms. You probably designed it yourself on Mapmyride. Not bad, but I know you can do better.

:D

You bet I can. Give me 15 min. :D

Parrulo said:
Why the hell don't they use the whole climb? It looks like a freaking beast!!!!

Freaking Unipublic. . .

You might remember the profile of that climb was my avatar for the longest time before I changed it to **** Freaking Pound.

It is without a doubt the hardest mountain pass in continental Spain.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
please forgive me for asking this lame question.

but how many kms in the second climb image will be ridden?
also, the first picture says el purche,a dn the profile says monachil. are both same?

murali said:
please forgive me for asking this lame question.

but how many kms in the second climb image will be ridden?
also, the first picture says el purche,a dn the profile says monachil. are both same?

El Purche and Monachil are two names for the same climb.

The older posters will remember it for this stage, where Vino stole the Vuelta 06 from Valverde (mainly on the descent).

Profile is stupid. There were only 20km from the top until the finish line.

vuelta_espana_2006_etapa17.jpg

Parrulo said:
Pico Veleta doesn't count. If Unipublic rarely goes over 1500m how the hell would they go over 3000m? :p

SNevada1.gif

Correct me if i am wrong Descender but isn't Pico Veleta on the same mountain they will be riding tomorrow?

They say an image is worth a thousand words. The blue line is what they're climbing tomorrow (Monachil + Hazallanas). The road that would constitute the whole climb in the profile I posted is clearly visible. The southern part of the climb, which would be used to descend to where tomorrow's finish line is and Granada, is the traditional Sierra Nevada road. You can see the Pico Veleta a bit to the southeast.

e892tj.png

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
is this a stage for a "selection of 20-30 riders in frst hill and fighting for secs in second climb" sort of stage? or will the entire stage be limited to just the final climb?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Pico Veleta doesn't count. If Unipublic rarely goes over 1500m how the hell would they go over 3000m? :p

SNevada1.gif

Correct me if i am wrong Descender but isn't Pico Veleta on the same mountain they will be riding tomorrow?

Correct.

Motor vehicles are not allowed after the barrier at 2500m except for servicing the natural park, the radiotelescope and the sky lifts. The road isn't maintained either after that point. There's a cyclosportive that goes upto Pico Veleta, but I can't see a pro race going up there.

Descender said:
El Purche and Monachil are two names for the same climb.

The older posters will remember it for this stage, where Vino stole the Vuelta 06 from Valverde (mainly on the descent).

Profile is stupid. There were only 20km from the top until the finish line.

vuelta_espana_2006_etapa17.jpg

vino and kash destroying valverde...those were the times:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=htcsYW3knK8#t=1945

also cadel i think lost the vuelta on monachil in 2009 if i remember correctly...

jens_attacks said:
vino and kash destroying valverde...those were the times:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=htcsYW3knK8#t=1945

also cadel i think lost the vuelta on monachil in 2009 if i remember correctly...

You remember correctly. Except that year the Monachil climb was linked with the EDIT:Las Sabinas road (north), forming in practice a single (and nasty) long climb.

That was a well-designed stage. The second climb of the day is a nasty HC (Puerto de la Ragua, 25 kms at 6%). It caused mayhem, and about 55 riders ended up missing the time limit.

vuelta_espana_2009_et13_g.gif

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Descender said:
Alright so if they felt in the mood, they could prepare this nice little stage for the riders to enjoy. Of course, they can always finish downhill in Granada after the second-to-last climb.

2dlvkas.png

Climbs:

http://www.altimetrias.net/Granada/CabraMontes.gif

http://www.altimetrias.net/Granada/Purche.gif

http://unavueltamejor.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/perfil-sabinas3.png

http://unavueltamejor.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/cdo-alguacil.png?w=595

We might see at least Monachil + Hazas Llanas + Sabinas in the future if Unipublic sets a course with the last week in Southern Spain

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Descender said:
You remember correctly. Except that year the Monachil climb was linked with the traditional Sierra Nevada road, forming in practice a single (and nasty) long climb.

That was a well-designed stage. The second climb of the day is a nasty HC (Puerto de la Ragua, 25 kms at 6%). It caused mayhem, and about 55 riders ended up missing the time limit.

vuelta_espana_2009_et13_g.gif

Minor correction, if you let me ;)

In 2009 they didn't do the traditional Sierra Nevada road. They did the Sabinas' road from Dornajo.

There are lots of routes to Sierra Nevada, mainly via El Purche like in 2009, the fairly gradual route like in 2011, and if they did the job properly instead of half assing it, the route via Haza Llana like this year. They could have so many routes around there. There are three routes to El Purche, two of which link together partway up and are on the main gradual route to Sierra Nevada, and the other is the one used in 2009 and tomorrow. This means there are four ways to El Dornajo, the three previously mentioned linking together at El Purche then climbing to El Dornajo, and also the Güejar Sierra route used tomorrow. You then have two routes between El Dornajo and Pradollano (which do not directly meet, so you could climb and descend without overlap), one on the main road and one slightly narrower and the one featured on the profile shown for tomorrow's climb - which also enables you to go higher via Collado de las Sabinas. You could use the main road and go through the Pradollano resort to reach the top Pradollano station as used in the 2009 finale, or you could use the same route via Collado de las Sabinas shown in that profile. From either of these you could progress on to IRAM or the ski station at Borreguiles if you wanted to go higher yet.

murali said:
will tomorrow's climb affect those who had done tour the most? how draining are those climbs?

the effort for both of the climbs will be around 25 min each i think. it all depends on the speed. i would expect henao and euskaltel to attack from monachil already. basso also needs a hard ridden monachil if he wants to take back time on the final climb

i don't think purito and valverde will feel tired tomorrow...remember when froome had a nice week and a half last year in the vuelta and then boom...i expect pretty much the same here. no way purito will peak in the third week like he usually does. not after you've done le tour and finished third.

the stage is very good designed. now it's up to the riders. i would like igor anton personally to take this.

TRENDING THREADS