• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 11: Tarazona→Tarazona TT (38.8km)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
patrick767 said:
It's certainly possible though I'm not convinced Basso is the one to do it.

It just seems like a lot of people, including Nibali who IIRC named Basso as his strongest competition in this Vuelta, have been overestimating Basso lately. It's been a long time since he showed the capability to ride away from the top contenders on any mountain stage, so I don't know why he's always a GC favorite.

On all the big mountain stages it looks like he's struggling just to hang on. That might get him a top 5 (like Giro 2012), but it won't win a GC.
he didn't look like he was struggling to hang on in the hazellanas stage

Progress for stage 11's top four!
Lo Squalo really put the hammer down on the last part of the stage!
BTWmISQCYAExtfu.jpg

Dekker_Tifosi said:
he didn't look like he was struggling to hang on in the hazellanas stage

Alright, struggling to hang in there on "every" big mountain stage is an overstatement. He rode very well on stage 10.

1 Christopher Horner (USA) RadioShack Leopard 4:30:22
2 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:48
3 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:02
4 Ivan Basso (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling
5 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha
6 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ
7 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:01:10

That was just good enough to lose 14 seconds to Nibali, tie Valvarde, Pinot, and Rodriguez, and gain all of 8 seconds on Roche. Maybe Basso will prove me wrong, but I'm still not seeing a potential winner.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
either I'm missing something or this graph makes no sense at all.

i think loss to leader is plotted, instead of time taken between the segments.

As per the graph, there was no major difference between TM and Nibbles till Moncayo. Then TM came down the hill much faster, while nibbles did a very bad descent. In the final segment, nibbles outdid everyone else. in short, Nibbles has discovered a new style of negative split. Having said that, there is something seriously wrong here.

Pozzo went almost as fast as Canc. Then his magical climbing legs kiccked in and he made 13 sec of canc. He had a fairly poor descent, losing an extra 21 sec off nibbles. Then he went faster than canc and TM in the final segment.

What the graph lacks is a proper base. I think another rider's times should have been taken as base, and then difference in times should have been plotted.

As the graph stands, the all i could interpret is that
a) Pozzo should be discussed in clinic,
b) nibbles rested during the descent. prob he was comparing times of the other contenders there
c) The only good descender among the lot is Spartucus.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Red Rick said:
You forgot to add a minute for Nibali and Pozzo, he went hard, but certainly not harder than the Tank and the Panzerwagen

I assumed that the data ought to be correct.

when you allow that 1 min for nibali, the graph looks more believable. But pozzo, i am still in doubt.

TRENDING THREADS