• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 12: Maella→Tarragona (164 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
I'm quite sure that neither the hairpin (it's relatively wide and on an incline) nor the roundabout in the final will cause any crashes.

This is the 'hairpin':
SH7jt.jpg

Thanks. That doesn't look to bad - I thought from the map it would be tighter.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
race is on and there is already a 3 member break with 3 min adv.

i think today's intermediate sprints and the cat 3 KOM mountain classification is decided. The only thing we have to check is the order of the 3.

just hoping that the gc riders will prove me wrong by riding for the extra bonus points.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Break is:

86. Romain Zingle (Bel), Cofidis, at 1:06:52
128. Cédric Pineau (Fra), FDJ, at 1:30:41
140. Fabricio Ferrari Barcelo (Uru), Caja Rural, at 1:37:49

Don't think our stage winner is coming from these boys!

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Has Caja Rural been in a break away in (almost) all stages?

They didn't have in the Tony stage, but other than that?

The TM stage doesn't count, just the same way as the TTT and the ITT stage dont count.

Apart from that, i cant remember a single stage where there was no CJR rider. Someone should confrm regarding stage 10. I didn't watch that stage.

Also check stage 4 and 6.in all other stages, a CJR rider has taken either an intermediate sprint or a KOM point while in the break with ARAMENDIA LORENTE Javier Francisco, FERRARI BARCELO  Fabricio, or PIEDRA PEREZ  Antonio. And Amets TXURRUKA had featured in a lot of attempted attacks later in the stage.

Apart from CJR and Netapp, whish is the other wild card team?

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
murali said:
The TM stage doesn't count, just the same way as the TTT and the ITT stage dont count.

Apart from that, i cant remember a single stage where there was no CJR rider. Someone should confrm regarding stage 10. I didn't watch that stage.

Also check stage 4 and 6.in all other stages, a CJR rider has taken either an intermediate sprint or a KOM point while in the break with ARAMENDIA LORENTE Javier Francisco, FERRARI BARCELO**Fabricio, or PIEDRA PEREZ**Antonio. And Amets TXURRUKA had featured in a lot of attempted attacks later in the stage.

Apart from CJR and Netapp, whish is the other wild card team?

The break on stage 10 was about 20 riders. Can't remember who was in it though.

Cofidas are the other widecard.

CJR are in danger of taking over the mantle of "Token Break Artists" from AG2R... :D

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
From liveupdateguy: http://liveupdateguy.com/

"Orica Greenedge is moving to the front of the peloton as the gap hits 5:45 and quite obvious that Astana doesn't give a rat's rear how much time these guys get. Matthews is achin' for the stage win, I'm sure. We can also expect other sprinters' teams to join in the effort as the finish approaches."

Nibs telling his boys to save energy so they can destroy everyone in the mountains :cool::D

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
fraserhughes said:
We can also expect other sprinters' teams to join in the effort as the finish approaches."

Which other team? OPQS lost a rider in the TT, and fenn was DQed earlier. so they don't have firepower to both chase and win today. I don't know whether there are any other team who can bring back a break.

so which team is expected to join OGE?

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i was away for a while. anything happened in the last hour?

TM is in the back of peloton. there is a chance for break away then

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
33km to go and gap of just 2 min.

i think OGE will catch them before 10km banner.
i dont understand this tactic. wont that mean that anyone can attack with 5-10 km to go?

murali said:
33km to go and gap of just 2 min.

i think OGE will catch them before 10km banner.
i dont understand this tactic. wont that mean that anyone can attack with 5-10 km to go?

Don't the principle chasing team normally let riders 'hang' out in front a bit to avoid catching too fast by knocking off the pace slightly ?

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Pulpstar said:
Don't the principle chasing team normally let riders 'hang' out in front a bit to avoid catching too fast by knocking off the pace slightly ?

I think they are just fighting for road position/keeping safe and that has had the inadvertent effect of bring the gap down quickly.