• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 12: Maella→Tarragona (164 km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
has anyone called gilbert a sphymx before?

I think it is time to call him a Sphynx. whenever everyone thinks he is out, he comes back in style.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Starting to think he might be a realistic contender for the worlds...

He didn't do much most of last year, then came good in the vuelta and obviously won the worlds.

Same this year? I don't think so but his stock must be rising.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
fraserhughes said:
Starting to think he might be a realistic contender for the worlds...

He didn't do much most of last year, then came good in the vuelta and obviously won the worlds.

Same this year? I don't think so but his stock must be rising.

if he wins one more stage, then i am going to say that he will retain the rainbow jersey.

he is a sphynx.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
murali said:
if he wins one more stage, then i am going to say that he will retain the rainbow jersey.

he is a sphynx.

Back to back wins? As Netserk says tomorrow looks good:
13uk.png

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
maltiv said:
How is that relevant? This year it's a course for climbers, winning uphill sprints shows nothing.

It shows he will be in peak form for worlds, just like he was last year after taking 2 stages in the Vuelta.

The worlds course doesn't suit him as much as last years, but it's not so hard that it completely eliminates him from being a contender in the race.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
It shows he will be in peak form for worlds, just like he was last year after taking 2 stages in the Vuelta.

The worlds course doesn't suit him as much as last years, but it's not so hard that it completely eliminates him from being a contender in the race.

+1. exactly what i was meaning really.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:
How is that relevant? This year it's a course for climbers, winning uphill sprints shows nothing.

Gilbert won just 2 stages in vuelta before last years WCRR.

Every one, including the national federation, had written him off. Same case this year.

he took his first stage victory in stage 9, and next in stage 19.

this time, he has got his first victory in this stage. he takes one more stage, then he equals last years victories before WCRR.

we have seen it once, and we are going to see it again.

Classy win indeed, EBH had a good gap there..

Tomorrow I think the little ramp will be too little and too late for Gilbert, it will be EBH or another sprinter winning tomorrow.

Regardless of stage 13 chances, nice to see him getting back into it :)

TRENDING THREADS