• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 14: Bagá → Andorra. Collada de la Gallina (155.7 Km)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eshnar said:
aaand I lost another great stage! I should stop watching cycling live for the sake of the sport :eek:
a resume? please?

---art_giro_20130519083623118056-620x349.jpg

Nibali had the role of himself.

Horner was Santa, and Kiser Di Luca.

The difference was that Ratto was up ahead, and that Nibali accelerated in the end.

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Samu always rides himself into form as a GT wears on, it's just that as he gets older it takes a bit longer and he can't hold onto the form as long so he doesn't arrive in as good form as he used to.

kicking himself after the first two stages...

Asturiano said:
According to Valverde on Spanish TV, it has been one of the most difficult stages in his life.

Juan Manuel Garate, 37 years of age said it was the coldest day he's had on a bike in a race. Also that "people think that we have clothes for this type of weather. They are wrong." With rain, sleet and snow I'd imagine that staying warm and dry was a challenge. Everyone has different reactions to dealing these conditions, as evidenced by the multiple abandons. I was training one winter and my eyes hurt so bad it felt like fluids in my eyes were freezing!
On my first day facing the challenge of climbing a mountain, on the descent of the 2nd mountain we climbed that day (Iron Mountain & Roan Mountain in North Carolina/Tennessee) late afternoon with temperatures dropping, wind whipping about, my hands got so cold on the final descent that I had to alternate sticking them in my jersey just so that they usable for purposes of braking, otherwise they would've gotten too numb. These guys are tough as nails.

I think most of the spectators were on the part where they only went past once. Otherwise they would be aware that the riders would come back down, so I don't think anyone stepped out on the road (at least not after they had passed the first time).

Angliru said:
Juan Manuel Garate, 37 years of age said it was the coldest day he's had on a bike in a race. Also that "people think that we have clothes for this type of weather. They are wrong." With rain, sleet and snow I'd imagine that staying warm and dry was a challenge. Everyone has different reactions to dealing these conditions, as evidenced by the multiple abandons. I was training one winter and my eyes hurt so bad it felt like fluids in my eyes were freezing!
On my first day facing the challenge of climbing a mountain, on the descent of the 2nd mountain we climbed that day (Iron Mountain & Roan Mountain in North Carolina/Tennessee) late afternoon with temperatures dropping, wind whipping about, my hands got so cold on the final descent that I had to alternate sticking them in my jersey just so that they usable for purposes of braking, otherwise they would've gotten too numb. These guys are tough as nails.

Odd, since he said exactly the opposite in this live interview. He said he was cold, went down to the car, put some clothes on and then he could continue. Then he says it would be hard if you didn't wear the right clothes, which is what happened to Zubeldia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIYhU3xlMIc

Netserk said:
I think most of the spectators were on the part where they only went past once. Otherwise they would be aware that the riders would come back down, so I don't think anyone stepped out on the road (at least not after they had passed the first time).
If they weren't aware, they would know after a gazillion vehicles passed by ahead of the race precisely for this very purpose.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Descender said:
Odd, since he said exactly the opposite in this live interview. He said he was cold, went down to the car, put some clothes on and then he could continue. Then he says it would be hard if you didn't wear the right clothes, which is what happened to Zubeldia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIYhU3xlMIc

Getting some warm clothes partway through the stage probably helped him to continue at that point and make it to the finish is probably what he meant. Eventually the water will still get through those clothes as well though. You need the right kind of clothes for the kind of weather they had yesterday, but no matter what kind of clothes your wearing the water can eventually find a way through and make you cold again.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Flamin said:
I just read that Elissonde rode the final 70k on his own and that he simply didn't want to give up. He finished dead last, almost 37 minutes down.

Today he's in the break of the day. Brutal stuff _O_

This is a sport for only the hard. And with that, Elissonde shows that he has that hardness and determination a cyclist needs to be successful. I'll be keeping a close eye on him in the years to come.

TRENDING THREADS