• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 15: Andorra → Peyragudes (224.9 Km)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Zinoviev Letter said:
I don't think it was intended as a defensive move (although if he turned out not to have great legs it would have functioned as one as a fallback). it was an attempt to gain back much of the time he lost yesterday. He presumably had the legs to climb with the leading five if he hadn't attacked, given that they barely took 40 seconds on him on the climb after his distance attack.

He was worried about losing contact with repeated attacks. His main aim was to ride at his own pace and if possible pick up some time. Top 5 still a possibility could have been even better if he hadn't blown so much yesterday.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
happytramp said:
He was worried about losing contact with repeated attacks. His main aim was to ride at his own pace and if possible pick up some time. Top 5 still a possibility could have been even better if he hadn't blown so much yesterday.

either that, or saxo screwed up tactics as is usual this year.

I would have been happier if he had a solid @30sec lead instead of the @15 sec he achieved.

Today there was tailwilnd most of the stage, at least Cantó, Bonaigua and Peyresourde. That help Geniez to win.

I think nobody in this Vuelta is at his top... maybe Nibali is very close, and of course Horner, but he is not the destroyer rider he could have been with 30 year with another biography, and he cant do anymore.

Of course Pozzovivo, but he is not so strong, and he need hot weather.

A pity about Basso

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
Burgos stage could be a funny one. As of today

Meersman has 3 people left to chase

Matthews has 4

Wagner has 3

Farrar has 4

Richeze though nearly has a train with only 1 LAM abandon so far :D

and we all know which were the only trains which was capable of pulling back a serious breakaway.;)

The Hitch said:
Good if he is looking at 5th.

Just a small step if podium is on his mind though

Top 5 was his stated goal before the race started: recovery from yesterday's mini-disaster, and pushing on rather than hanging on, show some cojones.

He wouldn't have dared suggest that he would beat Nibali/Valverde/Rodriguez if they keep riding in any form. If he can finish with only Horner and those three in front he will feel thoroughly vindicated in making this his year's target.

I wonder what feelings he has about Ag2R in terms of extra motivation for catching up on Pozzovivo.

Armchair cyclist said:
Top 5 was his stated goal before the race started: recovery from yesterday's mini-disaster, and pushing on rather than hanging on, show some cojones.

I wonder what feelings he has about Ag2R in terms of extra motivation for catching up on Pozzovivo.

That jersey in front of him will be like a red cape to a charging bull, I believe

Armchair cyclist said:

He wouldn't have dared suggest that he would beat Nibali/Valverde/Rodriguez if they keep riding in any form. If he can finish with only Horner and those three in front he will feel thoroughly vindicated in making this his year's target.

I thought Roche left AG2R on his own accord and on best terms.

Pricey_sky said:
They won the Tour which is their main focus every year and that was mission complete. Sadly the Vuelta is just an afterthought.

Yep. One can see from the fact that they don't even have their chief of PR, Sir David Walsh OBE, tweeting about what everyone had for breakfast, that Sky aren't taking this Vuelta too seriously.

The Hitch said:
Yep. One can see from the fact that they don't even have their chief of PR, Sir David Walsh OBE, tweeting about what everyone had for breakfast, that Sky aren't taking this Vuelta too seriously.
Wink... it is about digestion, I think. they lost here with Wiggo, lost here with Froomy and now with the Colombians. I believe Sir David Walsh is one of those who "eats but doesn't Sh@#$t well"

Wow it's amazing how Andre Cardoso didn't learn anything about going downhill even with Arroyo on his team. Anyway, it's was good to see him on the attack instead of waiting to get dropped. 19th at the moment isn't bad, let's hope he can it a break that goes all the way so that he can jump a couple of places on GC.

TRENDING THREADS