• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 16: Graus→Sallent de Gállego. Aramón Formigal (147 Km)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 16: Graus→Sallent de Gállego. Aramón Formigal (147 Km)

mapa16.jpg

16_perfil.png

Aramón Formigal 15.8 km, 4% average, 9.5% max, 640m gain
16_puerto.png

etp16.gif

Weather: There will be sunny weather in this stage, with some clouds in Cotéfablo and Formigal Highs only.

Winds: The wind will be light in all this route. It will blow from Southwest, West and Northwesterly. It will be favourable from Graus to Foradada High climbing, from left side later as far as Cotefablo High climbing, contrary in Cotefablo High, and contrary later from Biescas as far as the arrival.

Temperatures: Oscillating between the mild 23ºC in the lowest stretch of the stage and the coolest 14ºC in the summit of Formigal High.

General classification after stage 15
1. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 60:20:21
2. Christopher Horner (USA) RadioShack Leopard 0:00:50
3. Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:42
4. Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha 0:02:57
5. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:03:43
6. Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:03:49
7. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:04:59
8. Leopold Konig (Cze) Team NetApp-Endura 0:06:18
9. Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:07:46
10. Tanel Kangert (Est) Astana Pro Team 0:09:11

Another day for a lone survivor from the break perhaps? Or will the GC guys finally decide to go for the stage win? Rest day the next day, so hopefully they decided to go for it and we get some good GC action.

Yeah, I was going to say. Crappy uphill seemingly unnecesary finish just after the big mountain stages. Looks a bit like a stage last year.

Thing is though Fuente de was 1 in a million. Goes against everything modern cycling represents. I cant see another one happening in the next decade yet alone the year after.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yeah, I was going to say. Crappy uphill seemingly unnecesary finish just after the big mountain stages. Looks a bit like a stage last year.

Thing is though Fuente de was 1 in a million. Goes against everything modern cycling represents. I cant see another one happening in the next decade yet alone the year after.

Definitely, particularly if you look which guys have to give a show. Last year it was Contador, now non-attackers Purito and Piti.

Horner i don't think he's going to take the risk. He still can win la Vuelta on the Angliru.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Is there any graphic for the cat 2 climb?

I noticed it is less than 50 km from the finish, with about 14 km of descent. Can this allow a long range attack from the cat 2 climb?

Also, how nasty is the ramp before the official start of climb?

Will it be 4th in a row for breakaway?

Purito FTW

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
murali said:
Is there any graphic for the cat 2 climb?

I noticed it is less than 50 km from the finish, with about 14 km of descent. Can this allow a long range attack from the cat 2 climb?

Also, how nasty is the ramp before the official start of climb?

Will it be 4th in a row for breakaway?

Purito FTW

cotefablo15.gif

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
murali said:
thank you. So this can be used as a launchpad for an attack?

Astana worked today to keep the break in check with Arroyo and Nieve @11min in GC. And Nibali jumped on Purito's wheel in Peyresourde even if he's at 3min. So I don't think Astana will let anyone go tomorrow unless they're spent from today's effort. If they do, I'm sure Vino will chase from the team car :D

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i am just surprised how vino stays in the team car. looking at lollipops like this, he must be itching to get back on his bike:rolleyes:

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:

stage to pajares 2005 was happened right behind cunego win at trento 2004 ;)
and yeah, there was morzine at 2006 :D

just saying

The Hitch said:
Was there a problem with the broadcasting on Pahares in 2005? Because I remember Murito saying last year after Fuente de that it was a shame the cameras didn't catch the Contador attack just like Heras on Pahares in 2005.

Yep, same problem. Attack happened before there were live pictures.

It's Pajares btw.

Descender said:
Yep, same problem. Attack happened before there were live pictures.

It's Pajares btw.

Oops, I always wrote pajares, don't know why i used h this time.

Anyway I was wondering because ITV said yesterday was "almost the greatest Vuelta stage you never saw" and I was thinking if Pajares 2005 wouldn't hold that honour.

TRENDING THREADS