• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 16: Graus→Sallent de Gállego. Aramón Formigal (147 Km)

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kokoso said:
For me not so big surprise, he's really, really good. Doing some great first grand tour of his, with stage win then clever fighting for top ten, even putting in a good survival fight with little virosis. He'd need another ITT but :) In the third week he can climb up through the GC, or fall down, or stay right where is now, which actually is pretty good. But any place higher is obviously better and somebody can suffer crisis.

konig being on smaller team has probably helped him,. hes their focus so had his objectives set early, hes one of few riders here who knew back in march hed do one grand tour and it would be the vuelta.

net app have certainly earned their place, might hire brammier or an irish rider to get into giro next year.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
People like it when riders earn their wins. If a rider just sits on another riders wheel though, then easily comes around them in the end then that rider didn't earn or deserve the win as much as the one that was doing all the work.

+1

pay and pain starts with the same two letters

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
manafana said:
konig being on smaller team has probably helped him,. hes their focus so had his objectives set early, hes one of few riders here who knew back in march hed do one grand tour and it would be the vuelta.

net app have certainly earned their place, might hire brammier or an irish rider to get into giro next year.

Being part of a smaller team has its own advantages.
I think a lot depends on the future vision of NetApp team. If they are going to follow the EUC policy of staying at ProConti level, then Konig is better off in a different team. But the thing is that he is young. He can still take a couple of years in the current setup, and then he can jump to a more resourceful WT team.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
uran is an idiot who doesn't know how to win a race even if it's gifted to him basically. that is proven by both those 2 races

did n't you mean that uran frustrates us more by not doing what he is capable of.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
murali said:
did n't you mean that uran frustrates us more by not doing what he is capable of.

he's not capable of winning races, that's a given for a long time now and one look at his face should also tell enough.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
uran is an idiot who doesn't know how to win a race even if it's gifted to him basically. that is proven by both those 2 races

trying to solve at sprint when he could drop the young frenchman in the last km was indeed pretty stupid

Ryo Hazuki said:

I don't think he would have outfoxed Vino, no matter what. Barguil maybe, then again that kid acted really tired and slowed down to save himself for Urans arrival and just took him on the line. That AFAIK is good tactical sense.

Uran has the draw back of being a known quantity in the peloton, so he has to work a lot harder to get into winning situations like this. My guess is he didn't have anything left at the end due to all the work he had to do during the stage.

He is a marked man and as I think you are alluding to, he lacks a bit of tactical sense in these situations.

manafana said:
Surely rest day day means Nibali won't have a day like stage today again.

Maybe, maybe not. He might have a bad day, but if the others are also having bad days, we will never know. Hopefully the others will test him out constantly, and if he has a bad day, they can exploit it.

EnacheV said:
trying to solve at sprint when he could drop the young frenchman in the last km was indeed pretty stupid
I think Uran did try to drop the kid but couldn't. The tactics were on the kid's side. He was still there when the sprint started and did not have anything to loose. Uran had a stage to loose and did it, like a pro

TRENDING THREADS