2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 18: Burgos-Peña Cabarga (186.5 km)

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pricey_sky said:
Banning radio's would not have made a difference, neither would bonus seconds as Froome would have mopped those up on Ax-3 and Ventoux. Were you asleep for Ax-3, Ventoux, Alpe D'huez and Annecy?
Not meaning the particular Tour 2013. We had enough excitement seeing "Froome attacking Froome" :D

Aug 16, 2013
Taxus4a said:
In fact, if one compare the climb of Purito in 2010 and Horner this year, they attack to Nibali in the same point, a corner at 0,8 km to the finish line, in both cases Nibali lost about 20 seconds, but Purito was 2 seconds faster that Horner, 2:17 to 2:19 in that final 800 meters.

So the difference is about the pace of the domestiques this year before that point, three yeras ago, Nibali did and attack and was along a long time, this year he was more time sucking wheel, that helps even in that slopes.

the wind was similar both years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGUYLJJ6lVs 2010

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuelta-ciclista-a-espana-2013/ascension-integra-pena-cabarga/2017644/ 2013
I think a reason why the climb in 2010 was slower in general, was because Anton crashed at the foot of the climb, so the group decided to regular the pace a bit in the first km's, to hear what Anton's situation was. Perhaps it would not cost a lot of seconds, but you need everything taken in your consideration.

Arredondo said:
I think a reason why the climb in 2010 was slower in general, was because Anton crashed at the foot of the climb, so the group decided to regular the pace a bit in the first km's, to hear what Anton's situation was. Perhaps it would not cost a lot of seconds, but you need everything taken in your consideration.
And with him crashed Uran and Brusheguin, that in that moment were very well placed in GC, and they were in Andorra better than Nibali, the final winner.

That place was about two km before the climb, but maybe was a factor as well.
Yerterday, a lot of domestiques worked very hard.

Anyway, that Purito wasnt the same of last year or this year Tour...and he was better than Horner today comparing both attacks.

Jul 8, 2009
Taxus4a said:
this is not maths, man.
Today was tailwind in the last climb.
The year of Purito was very hot, I was there.
But there is always more things to consider. Matbe others years they speculate more, etc..., today some domestiques as Vicioso, Moreno, Herrada, Majka and Kiserlowski made the climb hard from the begining
, and simon clarke worked for Horner as well :p, the peloton took it easy the day, as a solo breakaway won clearly for the first time.. maybe a yer motorbikes help more (this year for sure) you must consider a lot of things...

Nibali is not like in the Giro, they said and I see that, but maybe he is like in the Vuelta 2010, but not better, and that 14 second faster dont say he is better.

The only conclusion is that is was a good time for Horner.

I remember how Cobo and Froome sttopped sometimes, that is an important factor.
Yep, the way up Pena Cabarga is a straight line from start to finish, with the wind pushing them all the way... I will win the Vuelta next year also...especially considering that 40 is the new 20...

ASK THE COMMUNITY