• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 21: Leganés/Parquesur→Madrid (110 Km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hugo Koblet said:
Euskaltel have been absolutely horrible this race. And not just have the riders been bad, their tactics have been disastrous as well. I hope they'll get a stage victory here as well, but it's probably not gonna happen even though I think this won't be between the sprinters.

Yet:
Team Classification:
1 Euskaltel-Euskadi 233:17:33
2 Movistar Team 0:05:44
3 Astana Pro Team 0:07:56

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Yet:
Team Classification:
1 Euskaltel-Euskadi 233:17:33
2 Movistar Team 0:05:44
3 Astana Pro Team 0:07:56

And that tells you exactly how important the team classification is.

It's not.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
jsem94 said:
Lol, EBH got totally boxed in. Shouldn't have relied on Uran as a leadout man.

Team Sky have been a collective disaster. This is painful to watch.
If he ever wants to win races again he needs to find another team.

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Congrats to Euskaltel, but... come on, taking a Ikurriña to the podium in the middle of Madrid is kind of a giant middle finger to the rest of the country.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Broth3r said:
Congrats to Euskaltel, but... come on, taking a Ikurriña to the podium in the middle of Madrid is kind of a giant middle finger to the rest of the country.

How so ? They are a Basque team and they proud themselves in that fact.

The only thing I will remember from today's final stage of the Vuelta.
It's great to see how Euskadi was a real team with stars like Samu, prototype basque riders like Anton or Verdugo, young promising guns like Landa, loyal domestiques like Urtasun, Azanza, Oroz, Martinez and of course the one and only Mikel Nieve: a rider that improved into so much more than a basque light weight. He add a sense of epicness to that, showing how a true pure climber can still be a factor with these days controlled tactics. One of my favourite riders ever and it won't be the same to see him winning in the future wearing some jersey other than the Orange he totally pulled off. Good luck to everyone of them.
euskaltel-podium-vuelta-efe_foto610x342.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, only 47 posts. Pretty boring stage then, someday a GT really needs to make the final stage decisive. Finish it off on top of the Angliru, or Zoncolan, or Ventoux. That would be far better then a ceremonial crit.

But I digress, good win for Matthews, good to see him delivering when given the chance. And +1 to Trevim's post, glad to see the carrots take the team competition (although I would have liked to see them creating a little more chaos this vuleta).

Uh, this may not endear me to some (most?) people here, but here goes.

Euskaltel were an embarrassment. An orange Radioshack. Apart from Anton on Penas Blancas and Nieve on one of the stages the big 3 did nothing. Oroz and Egoi Martinez were the usual people in the break. Says it all.

Nerz and Arroyo deserve praise. The carrots deserve nothing for creaking and croaking their way to the final podium.

And I was one of the people crossing my fingers for Laiseka to hold off VdB in 1999.

TRENDING THREADS