• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Cleanest Peloton Ever

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Davide Rebellin at the age of 43 wins Giro dell'Emilia..........

Things are looking positively positive for 2014 as a vintage cycling year;)

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Despite how doped up Rebellin is and has been in his career I still find that an oddly impressive result. Been winning classics for 20 years, insane.

Ofc not a name you'd like to see winning right now ...

Benotti69 said:

Rebellin for sure, still charged: old school.

But I look at that result and logically reach the opposite conclusion.

A 43 YO doper, no matter what he used, stood no chance of winning anything 10 years ago.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

A 43 YO doper, no matter what he used, stood no chance of winning anything 10 years ago.
i see you believe in unicorns.
if he's still doping - old school nota bene - he's obviously beating the testers.
if he's beating the testers, why would others not be beating the testers?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Umm, because they are ALL being beaten by a 43 YO?

Comparative adjectives not a strong point around here.
generally it is an interesting point.
how come golden oldies like Horner and Rebellin are having such formidable indian summers...
i'm just not sure it points towards a cleaner peloton, though admittedly that could be one interpretation.
fact is these guys are beating the testers.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Maybe a doping product has been found which slows the ageing process. That said, Rebellin did beat a weak field.
exactly.
also note that in a sport like soccer we also see more and more oldies doing great at 35+ years of age, and i dont think mellow velo would argue that doping in soccer is on the decrease.

sniper said:
exactly.
also note that in a sport like soccer we also see more and more oldies doing great at 35+ years of age, and i dont think mellow velo would argue that doping in soccer is on the decrease.

The only point I was trying to make was that Benotti using an example of something that has clearly changed in the last couple of years, was hardly the best way to try and make the point that nothing has changed.

As to why riders in the mid forties are now able to achieve results that previous generations couldn't, is open to speculation.
A decline in widespread doping being only one possibility.
Gene doping also immediately springs to mind, especially within a group of affluent athletes, such as footballers.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

I reach the logical conclusion that doping pays, that new dope helps and that better management of ones doping program can prolong ones career.

I laugh at the idea that because EPO usage is reduced that somehow that implies riders dont dope.

I dont accept that because EPO is not being pumped upto 60% we should breathe a sigh of relief as this implies the sport is cleaner! It doesn't. EPO is no longer the main course, but is still on the starter menu, we are not aware what riders are taking for the main course, it could be a cocktail of various PEDs.........

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I reach the logical conclusion that doping pays, that new dope helps and that better management of ones doping program can prolong ones career.

I laugh at the idea that because EPO usage is reduced that somehow that implies riders dont dope.

I dont accept that because EPO is not being pumped upto 60% we should breathe a sigh of relief as this implies the sport is cleaner! It doesn't. EPO is no longer the main course, but is still on the starter menu, we are not aware what riders are taking for the main course, it could be a cocktail of various PEDs.........

Surely AICAR is one of the main ingredients. Super skinny guys en masse. In the 90s the climbers were also thin, even Riis and Indurain were thin...but in the same way they were muscular...but not concerning muscle mass.
They seemed to have very densely packed muscles, making them look muscular. Riders in the 90s just looked like real men. :cool:

Who else wishes the 90s back? Races were a lot more spectacular.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
More talk that really makes me believe this sport has taken note of the mistakes of the past and really wants to move on now that it is clean;)

“I feel it comes along at the right time. I feel we need to change the sport. I feel we need to simplify. [Cycling] needs a fresh voice, like Oleg’s. It’s pulling cycling out of its comfort zone. That’s probably the best way I can put it,” Rogers told VeloNews last week.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...and-tours-proposal_349321#5ZHCFAVpsx3hwMhb.99

Oleg's an old hack in this sport. But then cycling never told the truth.......:rolleyes:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
What does that mean? That they f#cked it up royally?
Which was the laboratory that was able to find a ridiculous amount of Clenbuterol concerning the Contador case?

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
no wonder 2014 TdF didn't have any positives.

Nice find..

One controversial lab backed by another....

Great choices UCI :eek:

Could it be Zorzoli orders?
Was that in his jurisdiction?

That could explain some...

How on earth that french lab is still WADA-accredited is a mystery...
Or maybe it isn't :rolleyes:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
*moved from wiggins thread*

D-Queued said:
Starting to sound like the good ol' times.
Like when the WADA overseers couldn't understand why all the suspicious riders weren't getting any EPO tests.
true, but WADA and UCI seem to be more in tune these days. They have each others back.
D-Queued said:
Wonder what influence he had over AICAR?
The test for AICAR is a urine test. It would have been comparatively easy to store the urine samples and bring them to Cologne for extra AICAR testing.
Instead, UCI was very quick to announce zero positives for the TdF 2014, close the case and pretend AICAR doesn't exist.
There were no positive doping tests at this year?s Tour de France, the Cycling Anti-Doping Foundation (CADF) announced Tuesday, on behalf of the UCI, as well as the UK and French anti-doping agencies.

?All the samples collected were systematically analyzed to detect stimulants and erythropoiesis,? said the UCI, the latter being the process which produces red blood cells.

?Isotope-ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS) was also analyzed in a certain number of samples, in particular to detect testosterone abuse and its precursors.?
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...itive-doping-tests-2014-tour-de-france_343698

?I would like to thank the anti-doping bodies involved in the 2014 Tour de France operations for their collaboration, in particular the French Anti-Doping Agency and UK Anti-Doping, but also the World Anti-Doping Agency and the CADF,? said UCI president Brian Cookson. ?This sort of collaboration is absolutely necessary. Thanks to a sharing of information, the effectiveness of the testing distribution and therefore the overall anti-doping program is improved, with the stakeholders sharing their knowledge, their know-how and the information they have available. In addition, it increases the program?s transparency while obviously respecting the confidentiality regulations in force.?
:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS