• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro d'Italia, Stage 11: Collecchio - Savona (249 km)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
spanky wanderlust said:
there is a difference between not chasing and actively slowing down the chase which is what bmc did today.

i'm sure there's no grander conspiracy here. or IS THERE?! :eek:

Definately a conspiracy, BMC slowed down as they knew it would annoy the haters on Cyclingnews.doing the best thing for GC would have been well down the list in consideration.

If Cadel doesnt win the TT, it will be another gifted stage win for "some random aussie guy"

Hugh

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
hughmoore said:
Definately a conspiracy, BMC slowed down as they knew it would annoy the haters on Cyclingnews.doing the best thing for GC would have been well down the list in consideration.

If Cadel doesnt win the TT, it will be another gifted stage win for "some random aussie guy"

Hugh

I had a good chuckle at this...thanks for making me smile :D

Just a thought I had while watching the finish yesterday:

I get that the climb towards the end was to shake things up a little, as opposed to simply having a regular flat sprint finish.
But it might have had safety "reasons" (even if not directly thought about) as well; some of those roads towards the finish was very narrow. Could you imagine if a completely pack had come hurtling in towards a sprint?

Preidler checking out his weaker break mates:
155519_To210514Spo_289.jpg

Many pics here: http://www.steephill.tv/2014/giro-d-italia/photos/stage-11/

hughmoore said:

Hugh

Damn that Cadel. I hope he doesn't gift another TT stage. If that happens he might even start gifting mountains stages as well.

karlboss said:
BMC gave it to him, but i don't think the conspiracy goes beyond that. I can see Evans giving Rogers a win, I can't really see any point to the race organisers/UCI giving rogers a win. It's hardly a feel good win like Phinney infront of his home crowd.

I think theres some tactical reasons. Firstly theres the Aussie thing, they might be friends, and letting him go might be a favour for a mate, looking for a favour perhaps later on in the race.

Then theres Maijka, he might start to get up there and Rogers will be helping him. So why not leave him out front on his on to use up his energy that might otherwise be used for gaining time on Cadel later on in the race.

Then theres also the fact that there has been a few crashes when things are getting fast in the sprints, they pretty much negated that danger for Cadel.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
BMCgate: The conspiracy that BMC completely blocked the road so no-one could chase Michael Rogers who was cruising along at less that 25km/h and had no chance of winning despite the fact that he is a three time world timetrial champion.

Or is it looking for someone to blame because your rider couldn't win.

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
oncehadhair said:
Or is it looking for someone to blame because your rider couldn't win.

(y)

A daring attack was rewarded. Neither Evans, nor BMC, control this race - their team isn't strong enough.

Rogers got his win because no one bothered (tried) to organise a determined chase. Their loss. We're far from a situation where Evans is even capable of gifting stages left and right.

TRENDING THREADS