• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro d'Italia, Stage 11: Collecchio - Savona (249 km)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
after seeing this same scenario happen twice in a week, i gotta say, i smell race-fixing.

phinney getting a big win off the front in front of adoring u.s. fans is a real feel good story.

slick mick getting a showy comeback win in his first gt back from his 'misunderstanding' is another really great story for his adoring aussie fans.

watching bmc lay off today could be just cadel gifting a stage win to his aussie friend.

but the fact of identical stage win scenarios with feel-good vibes, especially when one of those features the race leader's team a little too ostentatiously sandbagging the chase, makes me a bit skeptical. it looks too much like a post-tour crit.

it doesn't smell good.

yespatterns said:
Thanks vitapen, but im thinking more a comprehensive list of those who've dropped out over the entire race, as opposed to stage by stage. maybe its there and im missing it. Not the most user friendly site lol

I made this by looking at the daily results here at cyclingnews, but there's something odd about it. It shows that there are fifteen riders out. However, today's results show 176 writers registering finishing times. So my list apparently doesn't account for, what, seven "ghost" riders no longer in the race?

Also: OTL is obviously "over time limit," as DNS and DNF are "did not start" and "did not finish." But what's FTM?

---------

Stage 1
OTL Koldo Fernandez (Spa) Garmin Sharp 0:10:11
DNF Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin Sharp

Stage 4
DNS Marcel Kittel (Ger) Team Giant-Shimano

Stage 6
DNF Angel Vicioso Arcos (Spa) Team Katusha
DNF Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team
DNF Davide Villella (Ita) Cannondale
DNF Giampaolo Caruso (Ita) Team Katusha
DNS Giorgio Cecchinel (Ita) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo

Stage 9
OTL Edwin Avila (Col) Colombia 0:29:36
DNF Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team
DNS Francesco Chicchi (Ita) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo

Stage 11
FTM Nicola Ruffoni (Ita) Bardiani-CSF
FTM Davide Appollonio (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
DNF Fabian Wegmann (Ger) Garmin Sharp
DNF Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica Greenedge
DNS Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica Greenedge

Ah, it looks like cyclingnews only listed finishers on Stages 7 and 8. So here's the updated list of riders out of this year's Giro thus far, drawing on various internet sources.

Stage 1
OTL Koldo Fernandez (Spa) Garmin Sharp 0:10:11
DNF Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin Sharp

Stage 4
DNS Marcel Kittel (Ger) Team Giant-Shimano

Stage 6
DNF Angel Vicioso Arcos (Spa) Team Katusha
DNF Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team
DNF Davide Villella (Ita) Cannondale
DNF Giampaolo Caruso (Ita) Team Katusha
DNS Giorgio Cecchinel (Ita) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo

Stage 7
DNF Ramon Carretero Marciacq (Pan) Neri Sottoli
DNF Maxime Mederel (Fra) Team Europcar
DNS Brett Lancaster (Aus) Orica GreenEDGE
DNS Joaquim Rodríguez (Spa) Team Katusha

Team 8
DNS Cameron Meyer (Aus) Orica GreenEDGE

Stage 9
OTL Edwin Avila (Col) Colombia 0:29:36
DNF Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team
DNS Francesco Chicchi (Ita) Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo

Stage 10
DNF Yannick Eijssen (Bel) BMC Racing Team

Stage 11
OTL Nicola Ruffoni (Ita) Bardiani-CSF
OTL Davide Appollonio (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
DNF Fabian Wegmann (Ger) Garmin Sharp

Note that some sources list Koldo Fernandez as a DNS for Stage 2 instead of an OTL for Stage 1.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Well actually no thanks. Aside from the obvious disappointment of the riders and their respective injuries, over half my fantasy team is now gone :(

Jspear said:
Man! Orica had a great start to the Giro and then 3 riders out. The joys and pains of a GT....bummer.

It's actually FOUR riders out now, isn't it?

Stage 7
DNS Brett Lancaster (Aus) Orica GreenEDGE

Team 8
DNS Cameron Meyer (Aus) Orica GreenEDGE

Stage 11

Still, they have to be satisfied with this Tour.

TRENDING THREADS