• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro D'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I truly hope & pray you're just kidding/being ironic............................right?

This does often happen with epic hilly stages; though even if a breakaway wins they still can have GC implications further back down the stage results.

Thx for the stage analysis :)

My guesses for each stage...

OGE- Sky, Movistar and BMC seem to be the only others who can challenge. All OGE have to do is just drop any rider who is not so strong and they should win :)
Kittel
Viviani
Kittel
Pozzovivo to attack like crazy and win
Dan Martin or Colbrelli. Maybe Arredondo, JROD or Evans too...
Matthews
Quintana
Jrod to get his first
Hoogerland or Pirazzi :p
Cunego
Evans :) If not Malori, De Gendt- maybe Durbridge.
Bouhanni
Uran
Quintana
Rolland/ Geniez... Otherwise Quintana again
Matthews/ EBH/ Swift or a break- Hansen, Battaglin, Pantano, Haas, Poels, Weening, Felline, Roche.

Jrod or Aru
Quintana
Probably Quintana again

Who will finish? Matthews, Swift or Viviani.

I probably don't have enough breakaway riders, nor featured in Scarponi/ Basso's Zoncolan attack. Duarte i think could also get a mountain stage but just didn't fit him in.

Downloaded the roadbook.

Viggiano stage rather underwhelming. The real climb is only in the last 1700 meters in the last ascent.

Still no idea how difficult the last bump in stage 10 really is

A whole 600 meters at 6% in Trieste !

The rest has been pretty much covered.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Downloaded the roadbook.

Viggiano stage rather underwhelming. The real climb is only in the last 1700 meters in the last ascent.

Still no idea how difficult the last bump in stage 10 really is

A whole 600 meters at 6% in Trieste !

The rest has been pretty much covered.

can I ask where?

Netserk said:
I have looked in the road book over and over again, but I cannot find out which stages have the 3-km-rule and which don't. Can anyone help me?

it's not in the roadbook but in the regulations:

Nel caso di caduta, foratura o incidente meccanico verificatosi dopo i pannelli indicanti tre chilometri all’arrivo, il corridore o i corridori danneggiati saranno accreditati del tempo del gruppo di cui facevano parte al momento dell’incidente, secondo l’art. 2.6.027 del regolamento UCI.

La norma non è applicabile per le tappe a cronometro (1a, 12a, 19a) e per quelle con arrivo in salita (5a, 6a, 8a, 9a, 14a, 15a, 16a, 18a, 20a). Qualsiasi caso non previsto dalle norme sarà risolto inappellabilmente dal Collegio dei Commissari, sentito il parere della Direzione dell'Organizzazione.

so the rule is applied for all stages except those listed up there

edit: according to the regulations from last year it should have been used for stage 3 back then btw, as far as I can see

TRENDING THREADS