• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro heading to Ireland

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
What a stupid thing to do. Another Gt ruined by this ridiculous obsession of traveling far far away for the start. It adds nothing to the race and brings forward the first rest day. Cycling needs to stop shooting itself in the head like this.

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
What a stupid thing to do. Another Gt ruined by this ridiculous obsession of traveling far far away for the start. It adds nothing to the race and brings forward the first rest day. Cycling needs to stop shooting itself in the head like this.
There does seem quite a distance between Ireland and Italy to justify this, i assume they'll get on planes but...:eek:

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Great news that the giro is coming to Ireland. Over the past number of years cycling has enjoyed a boom in Ireland with many people taking up the sport. Once again we see plenty of jealous begrudgers out there!

element said:
You'd all change your tune if it was starting in your hometown! Can't wait for this, will be the first WT race I get to see.

Actually not. I'm from Milan.
Cycling wise, it's a stupid decision. You shouldn't force riders to such long transfers and ten days without a rest day. A three week GT is already among the hardest thing to do as it is.

SafeBet said:
Actually not. I'm from Milan.
Cycling wise, it's a stupid decision. You shouldn't force riders to such long transfers and ten days without a rest day. A three week GT is already among the hardest thing to do as it is.
And who wants to ride in the rain and colder than already is in Italy?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
hayzer114 said:
Great news that the giro is coming to Ireland. Over the past number of years cycling has enjoyed a boom in Ireland with many people taking up the sport. Once again we see plenty of jealous begrudgers out there!

Agreed, great news.

That is is likely to be a cross-border affair is even better.

I remember being part of the Ras in 2007(?) which was the first such event to take in 'the north'.

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the point is that being from Belfast you have no opportunity to watch top level racing without taking a plane or a long ferry trip. Being from Milan, you have some of the biggest races in the world on your doorstep, or within a few hours drive.

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrocks, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives in this country, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Beamish. I think people are saying yes, there's more to Ireland than this.

The Grande Partenza of 2014 edition of the three-week Giro d’Italia will take place in the island of Ireland. From 10 to 13 May 2014 the island will host three days of racing around the cities of Belfast, Dublin and Armagh.
For RCS Sport taking the Grande Partenza of the 2014 Giro d’Italia to Ireland is an ambitious project for many reasons.
Using sport, in particular, cycling, to unite the island, is an idea we find deeply attractive. We recognise that, to do so, logistical perfection will be required on all sides. It will be the first foreign start for any Grand Tour since the implementation of a new UCI regulation prohibiting rest days on three-week Tours until the completion of at least seven days of racing.

14971_10151428217203080_371920740_n.jpg