• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro heading to Ireland

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From Fodor, "Northern Ireland has had a long and often ferocious history. But all such thoughts vanish in the face of the country's natural beauty, magnificent stately houses, and the warm hospitality of its people. The Six Counties cover less than 14,245 square km (5,500 square miles). These boundaries contain some of the most unspoiled scenery you could ever hope to find on this earth: the granite Mountains of Mourne; the Giant's Causeway, made of extraordinary volcanic rock; more than 320 km (200 miles) of coastline beaches and hidden coves; and rivers and leaf-sheltered lakes, including Europe's largest freshwater lake, Lough Neagh, that provide fabled fishing grounds". Also the black humour & craic in the Belfast bars is a force of nature in itself. Can't wait to immerse in this sensational reality!

Armchair cyclist said:
I take no offence: one of the biggest travel publishing companies in the world might consider that their opinion carries more weight than yours...

Frommers, another travel publisher, named it as one of 12 places to visit...

I don't know, Armchair, I've been to some pretty fascinating places...though, admittedly, that's just my opinion. In the end, it's a question of style and preferences.

Though wasn't it Fodor's? At any rate, I don't need one of the biggest travel publishing companies to explain what should be in the "top 21" preferences, but that's just me with top lists in general, which are commercial.

Whereas in Ireland, I prefer other locations.

cocteau_ireland said:
From Fodor, "Northern Ireland has had a long and often ferocious history. But all such thoughts vanish in the face of the country's natural beauty, magnificent stately houses, and the warm hospitality of its people. The Six Counties cover less than 14,245 square km (5,500 square miles). These boundaries contain some of the most unspoiled scenery you could ever hope to find on this earth: the granite Mountains of Mourne; the Giant's Causeway, made of extraordinary volcanic rock; more than 320 km (200 miles) of coastline beaches and hidden coves; and rivers and leaf-sheltered lakes, including Europe's largest freshwater lake, Lough Neagh, that provide fabled fishing grounds". Also the black humour & craic in the Belfast bars is a force of nature in itself. Can't wait to immerse in this sensational reality!

Alright now given that I'm a big fan of passionate and sincere enthusiasm, and adore black humor and good craic, you've peaked my interest. Fair enough. :)

rhubroma said:
You know if they had decided to start anywhere else but freekin Belfast, one might detect a bit of willful projecting on your part.

snipped....

Very nice, thanks. I like Ireland very much and understand the reasons behind the Giro's decisions. Just don't like the concept no matter where they want to go outside of Italy. Tour of Poland going to Trentino? Don't like that either.

TRENDING THREADS