• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 TdF Grand Depart awarded to Yorkshire

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
over the two other candidates Edinburgh, Scotland and Florence, Italy

Yorkshire to host Tour de France 2014 start

"Yorkshire will host the first two days racing on the 5th and 6th July before the Tour heads south for a third stage in southern England, with a finish in London. Leeds will be the host city of the Grand Depart and will hold a festival of cycling and the arts to coincide with the arrival of the Tour. Full details of the stages will be revealed at a joint news conference in Leeds and Paris on 17 January."

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
Would love it if they did a stage through North Yorkshire, could be a real hilly stage (even 25% if they could put in sutton bank)

Does anyone know of the stage information or has it not been decided on?

I saw somewhere that the 1st stage would start in Leeds, finish in York maybe, something about a loop stage starting in York? and finishing in Scarborough. So North Yorkshire's covered - no?
3rd stage in the south finishing in London.
I think the article was on CN News.

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Tom375 said:
I saw somewhere that the 1st stage would start in Leeds, finish in York maybe, something about a loop stage starting in York? and finishing in Scarborough. So North Yorkshire's covered - no?
3rd stage in the south finishing in London.
I think the article was on CN News.

Sorry got that wrong - it hasn't been finalised yet but they are suggesting 1st stage Leeds to Scarborough, 2nd stage York to Sheffield.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/swift-targets-2014-yorkshire-tour-de-france-stages

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
Scarborough finish could definately include North York Moors (after Dales) could be a very hilly stage, good for somene like Gilbert
you'd think it would have to - it's beautiful round there. Trying to picture the route from York to Sheffield is a bit more difficult.
Can't get the A1 & M18 out of my head - i'm sure they'll go a different route:D

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:
Good. As long as ASO don't kill it by somehow avoiding the hills of Yorkshire.

They just avoided the mountains of Corsica. If 2015 Tour will start in Briancon, they will make a flat stage to Gap. I'm wrong, they will make a downhill stage to Gap. ASO can so easy make a flat stage anywhere in this world. Bring on the Hymalayans, you'll be surprised how much flat is in China.

McLovin said:
They just avoided the mountains of Corsica. If 2015 Tour will start in Briancon, they will make a flat stage to Gap. I'm wrong, they will make a downhill stage to Gap. ASO can so easy make a flat stage anywhere in this world. Bring on the Hymalayans, you'll be surprised how much flat is in China.

yeah, this can easily result in 3 flat stages celebrating Cavendish.

Hopefully the Sheffield stage can finish off a bit like the old ToB stages to the city:

profile3.gif

Finishing in Scarborough, I expect that the really tough climbs will be quite far from the finish, so with this they can thin the bunch out a bit again, before finishing in the city. I anticipate the same run-in as those Tour of Britain stages, but it's a city full of hills. I found this post that creates a route around the city full of short hills that could make things very interesting indeed. None really long, but lots that could entice attacking and make the race hard to control.

I think that is the only news I could have scooped the clinic on (but was sworn to secrecy!) Congrats Yorkshire....smarter bid than the rest of Britain put together!....Any good triathletes down your way?:rolleyes: Or a history of women champions?:rolleyes:
Maybe after Scotland gets Independence, Yorkshire will follow:rolleyes:

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I have quite a lot of sheffield bias here, but id love to see a stage finishing in the city. Unfortunately organisers would have it finishing in the city centre preventing it being an uphill finish instead of finishing on top of hagg hill or pea royd lane.
There couldnt really be much more motivation for Adam Bltyhe and Ben Swift...

I did have a crazy fantasy involving the tour taking in Shibden Wall on the stage to Sheffield... TOB or Milk Race went up there one year...the look on the faces of the riders as the got to the top was priceless. A good few carried their bikes. Steep incline with cobbles. :D

More realistically they will take in Cragg Vale on that day, which is perfect for me. Holme Moss is the other candidate. Cow and Calf for scenery perhaps.

Personally, I'd like to see them go via Grassington, Kilnsey, Arncliffe and Malham...but it won't happen, sadly.

Anyway, it's brilliant news.

TRENDING THREADS