• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 TdF Grand Depart awarded to Yorkshire

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
El P might like to reflect on whether or not an entire generation of Yorkshire men was decimated in the war which hardly affected them, trying to fight for Belgium's freedom.

That was hardly their real reason, more like maintaining the status quo on Continental Europe.

It would be much better to run the race along these battlefields. The main burial place here for soldiers of WWI in Belgium is in fact British territory and it's a beautiful area to pass by.

I wouldn't mind the Tour starting in Verdun by the way, Belgium already had a Tour start this year. They can do a quick detour to Ypres though.

You need a symbol and Yorkshire just isn't a symbol for WWI.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
Yeah, I get that. I just don't see why cycling should get involved in remembrances like this. Cycling and war history are unrelated.

Many great cyclists died during the first World War. Paris-Roubaix got its nickname "hell of the north" because of the first World War.

It's hardly unrelated. Of course you have your opinion and I have mine.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Seriously, why the heck is the Tour starting in one of Europe's most waterdown trashyards?

The TDF is a pro bike race not a TV holiday review show. The racing can be potentially good depending on the route and thats the main thing.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
1914 --> 2014

Cycling is a sport where history is important.
2014 is also the 50th anniversary of Poulidor vs. Anquetil on the Puy de Dome. I think that would be history that would be better celebrated during the Tour.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Frosty said:
Started in Liege this year and i'm not going back to that place after my visit in 2010.

What's wrong with Liège? It's a beautiful city. Every city has it ugly spots of course, but are you never going to New York again because of the Bronx?

And it happens to be a city related to cycling. ;)

El Pistolero said:
What's wrong with Liège? It's a beautiful city. Every city has it ugly spots of course, but are you never going to New York again because of the Bronx?

And it happens to be a city related to cycling. ;)

Liege? You serious? That's the crappiest city in continental Europe bar Charleroi (and yes I've been in both).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
Liege? You serious? That's the crappiest city in continental Europe bar Charleroi (and yes I've been in both).

I see you've also been to every other continental European city. I'm sure there's some Russian cities where they'd love to sell you some krokodil tears.

Charleroi is ugly though.

I've been out a few times in Liège at le Carré, can't complain, not at all. Much better experience there than any other Belgian or Dutch city I've been out to. And I live a few feet away from the "uitgaansbuurt", as we say in Dutch, in Gent.

So yeah, I'm serious.

Even Charleroi kinda has its charms. You can just see the effects of the 19th century industrialism on that city. I'm sure England has cities like that as well.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Frosty said:
No, the Bronx wouldnt put me off but Liege does put me off going to Liege again:)

I guess you'll have to wait for a British rider to do well in LBL then. ;)

But hey, I've never been to Yorkshire, so can't comment about that particular subject.

TRENDING THREADS