• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour De France stage 1: Leeds › Harrogate (190.5km)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, we'll see what Cavendish says. If he's really "grown up", he'll show remorse for being road furniture that ruined the potential victories of Greipel, et al. I'm expecting that he'll just whine about himself though, in which case he should be banned for entering in next year.

Bushman said:
Where did I say that it was Gerrans' fault? I think it was mostly Cav's fault, however I still dont think that the crash would have occurred had there been a sprinter instead of Gerrans.

I don't think you can apportion blame to Simon Gerrans just for being Simon Gerrans though. He isn't a pure sprinter, but the finish was a bit complex and he has enough of a sprint to be able to get himself up there. And as has been mentioned before - he could have a chance to get the maillot jaune in tomorrow's stage if he gets a good placement in the sprint today, so he has that motivation as well. Maybe a more muscular rider could have resisted Cavendish's barging without an accident, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't the barging that caused the crash.

I think people are being over the top in how bad they see this compared to, say, Roberto Ferrari in the 2012 Giro stage to Horsens, but I also think people are being a bit keen to absolve Cavendish of blame that he by rights should have to shoulder as well.

JackRabbitSlims said:
But seriously,

If you're slightly, even maybe interested in the football....you'd be watching this....so GFYS!!

:D:D:D:D

I'm a big F1 fan but I've not yet watched the qualifying and I probably won't before midnight because of all the sport going on. So just stick to the ontopic sports.

Zam_Olyas said:
BryvB7nCQAAZmDe.jpg

The anglos going at each other.

Cav needed space. Gerro didn't allow it.
They crashed. Too bad.

Zam_Olyas said:
Pier Bergonzi @pierbergonzi · 10m
#tdf #kittel si conferma lo sprinter n. 1 del momento. #cav si é infilato in una strada chiusa, tradito dalla troppa voglia di vincere

In fact. Your image was good, but to really get an idea of just how wreckless Cav was, you have to see the overhead shot from behind.

Total irresponsibility.

therealtimshady said:
Don't know if this has been mentioned but I've Just looked at the overall results and it's saying talansky has lost 4 mins 16 - must be a mistake

Well he can have been blocked by the crash and crossed the finish line 4.16 down, but surely the team would have waited if he suffered some problems outside the 3 km mark.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The thing I don't understand is that Cavendish was bang right in Kittel's wheel. Why go left big time instead of staying a bit more behind him and then try to jump him 50 meters later. He still had time. To me this is really a form of panic taking hold.

veji11 said:
The thing I don't understand is that Cavendish was bang right in Kittel's wheel. Why go left big time instead of staying a bit more behind him and then try to jump him 50 meters later. He still had time. To me this is really a form of panic taking hold.

Yeah he overreacted, when Kittel moved onto Sagans wheel it appears Cav thought he was gonna get boxed in and made a pretty radical move to the left which wouldn't have been necessary imo.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
vladimir said:
Well he can have been blocked by the crash and crossed the finish line 4.16 down, but surely the team would have waited if he suffered some problems outside the 3 km mark.

Cavendish himself crossed the line well before the 4 minute mark, there's no way Talansky would have needed 4 minutes to finish.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Magnus Sveen ‏@TV2Magnus 54 sec.
Puh. RT @ORICA_GreenEDGE: The good news is that @simongerrans is up and looks to be OK. Further details to come as we get them in. #2tdf