• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 12: Bourg-en-Bresse–Saint-Etienne (185.5 Km)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
2014 Tour de France, Stage 12: Bourg-en-Bresse–Saint-Etienne (185.5 Km)

qrceab.jpg

2mmda3t.jpg

Stage overview and prediction via rghysens:
rghysens said:
Overview :
This stage heads generally in a southwestern direction, to the city of Saint-Etienne, that already hosted the Tour 22 times before. Not only the Tour pays frequent visits to “the city of bicycles and weapons”, also Paris-Nice often passes by. In the edition of 2006 Floyd Landis absolutely destroyed the field towards Saint-Etienne, creating gaps in one stage that were bigger than those in the whole of Paris-Nice this year. With that in mind, one can certainly say that this is actually the first stage with an absolutely underwhelming design. Immediately east of Saint-Etienne there are some 1st category climbs (Crêt d’Oeillon, Croix de Chaubouret) that could have been used without creating an ultra-long stage, but instead ASO decided to use some long false flats and label it as climbs. Maybe 30 years ago 15km @ 3.3% or 9.8km @ 2.9% could create some gaps, but nowadays very few cyclists will break much sweat on them.

Predictions:
I could really see the sprinters fighting for stage win. The long false flatse in the last 50km will certainly favor the peloton over a breakaway group. Maybe the final will be too difficult for the worst climbing among them (Kittel), but it should be no problem for Degenkolb, Kristoff or Greipel and maybe even Cavendish.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I want to see the riders race and attack each other for the stage win up and down the climb. Sagan to do his usual thing, but have everyone not let him get away yet again. Then for Sagan to get so ****ed off he attacks full force, drop everyone on his wheel, and win the stage solo. :D

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
The second climb at 2,9 % is ridiculous. It's completely regular, always around those 3 %. The peleton will do it at 38 km/h.
The first one should be tougher. 3,3 % average but has a flat part 1/3 into the climb and seems to have a couple of more difficult km at 5-6 % after that. The last part seems like a regular 3,5- 4 %.
The could drop Kittel. I'm sure they whole peloton wants to get rid of Kittel. The peleton will go like crazy on that climb and well...let's see if there are more victims or the peleton breaks up into groups.

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
#Pray4Peter

If he doesn't win this one, I fear he's going to commit murder. In that case, we should probably be praying for Kwiatkowski after today's glorious cockblockage.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Cannondale please do something sensible for once. Put a rider in the break.

to what end? There's no one in their team good enough to finish it on a stage like this. They still have more chance to win with sagan

10km @ <3%, not sure why that is catagorised it's basically false flat. Some good old fashioned ASO profile exaggeration going on too.

That said probably still to much for Kittel and possibly Greipel if Tony Martin and Cannondale decide they are going to ride up it at 45kmph!

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Stage looks tailor made for Sagan to put in a strong performance and secure another coveted top 5, possibly 2nd. He's probably finding out that it's more difficult to win when you can't get on Cancellara's wheel and beat him in the sprint.

I would like to see Sagan and his team doing exactly nothing till the last hill and pray that other team do the job. :D

Do the same tactics as in Montreal last year after the Quebec.

Unfortuantely Sagan is crazy and he allready claimed he would go for it tommorow again.

Afrank said:
I want to see the riders race and attack each other for the stage win up and down the climb. Sagan to do his usual thing, but have everyone not let him get away yet again. Then for Sagan to get so ****ed off he attacks full force, drop everyone on his wheel, and win the stage solo. :D

This.

I hope he is so filled op with anger that he will just attack all out in the descent and drop everyone.

SKSemtex said:
No chance against motivated sprint team + dedicated Martin. Trentin is his "boy".

Actually I just responded to you in the other stage thread. Tomorrows stage probably doesn't suit aggressive racing very well, I would just love to see him ride his heart out no matter the result.

Or Else Cannondale should play it cool all day so that he will actually have a team mate by his side in the last 10 K's.

TRENDING THREADS