• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 5: Ypres – Arenberg Porte du Hainaut: 156km

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
SKSemtex said:
I made a Cance my avatar after his win in this year RVV as a show of my respect to him. I wanted to keep it one year.

He lost my respect today. I just don´t buy he was not able to bridge that gab. He did nothing today. Invisible all day long.

Probably off his peak waiting for goals later in the season. Terpstra was nowhere to be found either.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Were there any negative reactions to this race by riders actually?

I haven't checked it at all, but I'm just curious how the riders reacted to this stage, whether they thought a cobbled stage is a good idea or not. So far I only heard some positive reactions (but I'm reading Dutch media, so they might be biased :p), but I haven't really checked what riders were saying after the race.

I'm betting Paolini complained :eek:

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
God, i was trying to read this topic while watching the record of the stage. I failed it. 200 pages !

It seems some people here liked the stage !

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Climbing said:
9cce13aa6562f41b19054fa2972db1be_169_l.jpg

3rd @ 19"

thehog said:

37th @ 2'54"

The faces say it all
:cool:

trevim said:
Riis talked about a gearing issue but in that interview De Jonhg didn't mention it as a factor. Hence, Riis was full of cr***. Now we have Alberto also talked about the gear issue. I say it bul*** though :p

We'll see. The mountains will answer either way. Fact is he lost time and if he's as fit as Riis says he is, we're in for a hell of a race.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Were there any negative reactions to this race by riders actually?

I haven't checked it at all, but I'm just curious how the riders reacted to this stage, whether they thought a cobbled stage is a good idea or not. So far I only heard some positive reactions (but I'm reading Dutch media, so they might be biased :p), but I haven't really checked what riders were saying after the race.

Fabian seems to have changed his tune

The race was a mess. When I heard on the radio what was happening just with our riders, I could imagine what must be happening with the others - in my opinion this does not have a place in a Grand Tour," he said according to the Trek Factory Racing team website.

"It was completely different than in April because the field is so different. Also the wet roads made it very dangerous - the whole course was now dangerous."

"The problem was that there was always a gap because someone was tired, or slipped a bit, and you could not pass him on the cobbles. When the three Astanas and Boom went, this is what happened. Also, on wet cobbles, it is very different, you cannot use a high cadence like when it's dry, which is how I like to do it."

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Climbing said:
9cce13aa6562f41b19054fa2972db1be_169_l.jpg

You can see some determination there

That's a man who knows he opened up a can of whoop a$$ on his rivals. The video of him riding on the last couple of cobbled sections, hammering away, with his bike bouncing under him, was the picture of bad a$$. So much respect for the way he rode today.

Does nobody else see Lil Richie winning this tour?

He is in a great position, he has put time into all GC contenders bar Nibali. 1:54 behind is not much with his superior TT and if he's in last years climbing form then he will be second best behind Contador. He is also very fresh after not racing much this year and look what that did for Horner last year.

b.broadhurst said:
Does nobody else see Lil Richie winning this tour?

He is in a great position, he has put time into all GC contenders bar Nibali. 1:54 behind is not much with his superior TT and if he's in last years climbing form then he will be second best behind Contador. He is also very fresh after not racing much this year and look what that did for Horner last year.

how good is really Portes tt? can't remember seeing him win any? know he is a top 10 kind of guy, but exactly Wiggo is he? :confused: