• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 7: Epernay–Nancy (234.5 Km)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Carstenbf said:
Did they all get in?

Couple of guys went down hard on the finish straight just before the Talansky crash. Looked pretty bad. (was hard to see, looked like Netapp and IAM. Thought it was Chavanel cause I saw an orange bike, but he made top 10 I believe.

Anyone?

CN ticker mentions a BMC rider. (around the 800m mark)

Thought I saw 2-3 people all tangled up in the barriers. Though I suppose if it was serious it'd have been mentioned by now.

tomorrow said:
Sagan needs daniel oss back, those two were made for each other, i dont know if he´s free after the season but whoever signs sagan should sign oss too if he is.

Oss is wasted at BMC as he does not have a sprinter to lead out but still consistently finishes around the top 10 in bunch finishes. He's like Renshaw without a leader.

yup i think both sagan and oss benefited perfectly from each others work. sagan had somebody to handle endings just like todays and oss got leadout from sagan from time to time, and i also thing they managed to com first and secong few times

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Isn't it a bit worry for Alberto that after Roche did his charge Contador was left without team for the final kms?

My thoughts also...
But Riis again said that it was "part of the plan"
They are either not up to the task (in form whatever), or they are economising with every rider for some devestating blows in week three..
I would hope the latter, but I really have my doubts...

mrhender said:
My thoughts also...
They are either not up to the task (in form whatever), or they are economising with every rider for some devestating blows in week three..

The point was to get him to the 3km point. Not ride to the end.

TourOfSardinia said:
Isn't it a bit worry for Alberto that after Roche did his charge Contador was left without team for the final kms?

Could be the same strategy applied as during Jenkin Road. Easing off to conserve. Having said that it does not look all to good for Tinkoff come the mountains although the 2011-AC (if the word is true) doesnt need a train dragging him around. :cool:

The whining from certain riders who dont feel motivated to work for Nibali is a bigger worry then anything that goes on in the Tinkoff-bus.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Sagan is just too good on steep little climbs and as a descender that it costed him the vicotry today. He got the gap despite not even trying and couldn't decide whether pushing or waiting, did something inbetween and that was incorrect. :(

mrhender said:
My thoughts also...

I think we will see tommorow. I will be surprised if Roche and Rogers arent there at least through the first climb and possibly Majka as well (have my doubts there). By the way. Monster leadout from Kwiatkowski. Great job by Trentin to hold on to the lead afterwards. Feel sorry for Sagan though.
Wonder also what would result be if Trentin and Kwiatkowski switched roles? Michal looks incredibly strong, but although being a great teammate is important, wasting energy on early stages might not be best idea. It will be interesting where he ends up tommorow. I think he can be one of the contenders for the stage. Climbs are short enough

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
The point was to get him to the 3km point. Not ride to the end.

Did I say something else?

I merely pointed out that Riis may be bluffing, and that his team may not be as strong as they should.. Keeping one guy with him if possible should be cycling ABC?

I get that crashes in the last 3km will not matter as to time difference, but other things can happen as well?

Pippo_San said:
I laughed like a madman when I saw Little Richie trying to pull a Nibali and just making a fool of himself. :D

I didn't read it that way. He didn't look to be going too hard. I think he was just staying out of the way and trying to find a bit of clear road. I don't think he expected to stay away. Looks a wise move in hindsight. Talansky could learn.

Kender said:
Don't be stupid. Kittel is far faster in a regular sprint

indianfanboy said:
If Sagan had a decent team he would have won all the stages in the tour so far:D

:D Of course he would be beaten by Kittel, but if he is in OPQS instead of Cav this year, with few changes in the team they would killed the peloton this first week.

Anyway. It is so easy and good to be cycling fan in Slovakia these days. 7 stages, 7 times with the best in the end.

You might hate him for several reason, but none of them is cycling ralated.

Lance Armstrong said:
Why do you think it would be a bunch sprint if Sagan stayed in peloton? Imagine Kwiatkowski attack. Who would bring him back? Nobody, just like stage 2.

I was not judging his decission. I was talking about the funny situation, when his descent got him to this sitaution "attack or wait".

BTW I do think it was the right decission today. It would be the same as in stage 2 and stage 5.

I really loved the comment about how he can allways find the new trick how to lose the stage. Lets hope the probability of chosing the right decission will work next time.

Tournesol said:
What is Talansky doing looking around like that? What on earth is he doing there?? Bizarre...

Yep. And then he *****es about blindly running into Gerrans. What he will learn is that this sort of thing doesn't play well in a profession where the only reason you get paid is if people like you, and want to watch you ride your bicycle (and who will therefore buy the sponsors' products - perhaps).

There is nothing fundamentally important about bicycle racing. The illusion that this is a noble pursuit, undertaken by stoic warriors is easily shattered by a few stupid tantrums like Talansky's.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
winkybiker said:
Yep. And then he *****es about blindly running into Gerrans. What he will learn is that this sort of thing doesn't play well in a profession where the only reason you get paid is if people like you, and want to watch you ride your bicycle (and who will therefore buy the sponsors' products - perhaps).

There is nothing fundamentally important about bicycle racing. The illusion that this is a noble pursuit, undertaken by stoic warriors is easily shattered by a few stupid tantrums like Talansky's.

Yeah,exactly,media/publicity fail from Talansky/JV,they owe Gerrans the apology.