• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 8: Tomblaine – Gerardmer/La Mauselaine: 161km

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Where will Sagan finish

• Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
fantomas said:
Question to those of you who think Nibali could have followed Contador but just decided not to bother: Why on Earth would Nibali not go full speed in the final 100 metres?

Lactic acid! There is a huge amount of climbing tomorrow and 3 seconds is a pretty marginal loss of time. Why bother!

Dedelou said:
you looking at it as a GC matter that is why you don't get it. This was a question of "who " was going to win the stage. Contador rode to win it until her realized somebody had already done it. There is not time to gain in a sprint. it's totally amazing that he actually even got 3 seconds. this was a scenario for Nibali/contador finishing 1 and 2 in a sprint uphill unil for some reason, which will be clear later, Nibali did not go for the sprint

GC matters is all that matters. Winning the stage should be irrelevant to AC due to his time deficit (and his DS). He should be trying to win the Tour - that is all that should matter. Yes it is weird.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I disagree, Carols described it well, can't remember it exactly but the point is that Nibali was breathing quite hard, looked spent and Contador looked very fresh.

What I saw was that once Contador accelerated, Nibali couldn't follow. Whether that was to do with gear issues or not, we'll never know. I do know Nibali didn't look too strong to me. We'll know more on Monday.

Not sure why you don't think AC is going to attack on stage 9? I know it is a downhill, then flattish finish, which might seem a good stage for Nibs... but lo Squalo was sucking in air and blowing it out like a race horse by the time they got near the finish line - he was not tranquillo. And considering he might be pretty fried from defending the jersey all week, I think Contador is going to attack on a climb. Contador can time trial to the finish... None of it would surprise me the only reasons why he wouldn't would be bad weather or team not wanting to defend yellow yet. What do you think?

Depends on how Nibali can rest and recover. Slongo says he sleeps like a baby with the yellow jersey. That will help him...but who knows?

Depends on how all the competition looks in the morning, I guess. It is relatively early in the race and the question is: does Alberto want the leader's jersey and to erase the time deficit tomorrow or is he going to wait until Monday? If Nibs was indeed in the red, as they say, at the end of stage 8, maybe Berto will just go in for the kill soon.

I feel a Mt. Etna coming on.

Cookster15 said:
GC matters is all that matters. Winning the stage should be irrelevant to AC due to his time deficit (and his DS). He should be trying to win the Tour - that is all that should matter. Yes it is weird.
gc matter on the 21 st stage arriving in Paris. What happens everyday is much more complicate than "our" should and would or could . I am glad we fans have a forum where we can decide what is irrelevant to AC and how he should manage his victory, i mean what else to do on a saturday after the stage is over. Bike racing is often weird when observed from the outside. I love to read about Tour de France 10 years after they have finished , amazing how what we imagined we saw, what we believed we understood at the time seams much different with time. Today was a very important stage to clear up the front and that was done in the lower part of the climb, it seems. Tomorrow stage will be raced in function of what happened today and in preparation for monday's battle.

pigoonse said:
Not sure why you don't think AC is going to attack on stage 9? I know it is a downhill, then flattish finish, which might seem a good stage for Nibs... but lo Squalo was sucking in air and blowing it out like a race horse by the time they got near the finish line - he was not tranquillo. And considering he might be pretty fried from defending the jersey all week, I think Contador is going to attack on a climb. Contador can time trial to the finish... None of it would surprise me the only reasons why he wouldn't would be bad weather or team not wanting to defend yellow yet. What do you think?

Depends on how Nibali can rest and recover. Slongo says he sleeps like a baby with the yellow jersey. That will help him...but who knows?

Depends on how all the competition looks in the morning, I guess. It is relatively early in the race and the question is: does Alberto want the leader's jersey and to erase the time deficit tomorrow or is he going to wait until Monday? If Nibs was indeed in the red, as they say, at the end of stage 8, maybe Berto will just go in for the kill soon.

I feel a Mt. Etna coming on.

I think the chance to get caught is very big... He would most likely not stay ahead. Would be a waste of energy. ;) he'll go for it on Monday ;)

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I think the chance to get caught is very big... He would most likely not stay ahead. Would be a waste of energy. ;) he'll go for it on Monday ;)

Okay: I say AC attacks on Sunday and you say Monday.

We could do an avatar bet, but I love Berto almost as much as you ;)

You could make me have a Froome one...that would make me gag. If I win you take a Nibali avatar. :)

pigoonse said:
Okay: I say AC attacks on Sunday and you say Monday.

We could do an avatar bet, but I love Berto almost as much as you ;)

You could make me have a Froome one...that would make me gag. If I win you take a Nibali avatar. :)

Hmm... No I don't want you to have a Froome avi... And I'm not betting against AC attacking on any stage.. The guy is crazy :p but attacking tomorrow would be suicide IMO. But he might still pull it off if he does :p

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Hmm... No I don't want you to have a Froome avi... And I'm not betting against AC attacking on any stage.. The guy is crazy :p but attacking tomorrow would be suicide IMO. But he might still pull it off if he does :p

Not wise to bet against Contador attacking. I can see him going up the last climb and Nibali drops off at the bottom of the climb. Contador goes over the top and TT's to the finish taking 5 minutes on Nibali and more on everyone else.

Not that I hope for that. But Mt. Etna was also a stage 9...I think:confused:

pigoonse said:
Not wise to bet against Contador attacking. I can see him going up the last climb and Nibali drops off at the bottom of the climb. Contador goes over the top and TT's to the finish taking 5 minutes on Nibali and more on everyone else.

Not that I hope for that. But Mt. Etna was also a stage 9...I think:confused:

I wish... But I can't see that happening :p

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
maxmartin said:
battle is stage 10, stage 9 is a non gc guy. a strong breakaway will get away

Yeah. It's true. But you never can be certain. I hope for action, since I can watch stage 9 live. Stage 10 unfortunately, I will miss.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
pigoonse said:
Yeah. It's true. But you never can be certain. I hope for action, since I can watch stage 9 live. Stage 10 unfortunately, I will miss.

use a dvr, and don't get on any social media, watch it after work.:D I will also miss monday stage.:eek: They usually put the best one in weekends, but I guess this year grand depart disrupt the schedule a little bit.

Bravo Blel Kadri, several times the bride's maid last year, today, he's the bride. Or should I say THE MAN! Good for him. Good job for the two young Frenchies. In the big picture, we haven't learned much, except that when AC and Nib turn it on, Ritchie can't keep up.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Tonton said:
Bravo Blel Kadri, several times the bride's maid last year, today, he's the bride. Or should I say THE MAN! Good for him. Good job for the two young Frenchies. In the big picture, we haven't learned much, except that when AC and Nib turn it on, Ritchie can't keep up.

I'd say no one can keep up. I have a feeling were going to get some duels reminiscent of Schleck V. Contador 2010. Where we have two guys head and shoulders above everyone else.

Both are even riding the same bike just like in 2010. :D

Afrank said:
I'd say no one can keep up. I have a feeling were going to get some duels reminiscent of Schleck V. Contador 2010. Where we have two guys head and shoulders above everyone else.

302-PIC479243211.jpg

Afrank said:

True. It's a two-horse race. Sorry to bust Phil and Paul's bubble, but Porte won't win, Andrew T may be a factor in the future but he's not there yet, the best brit-US (as in english speaking) hope may very well be TJVG. I think that he can get 3rd place in Paris, ahead of Porte/Valverde.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Tonton said:
True. It's a two-horse race. Sorry to bust Phil and Paul's bubble, but Porte won't win, Andrew T may be a factor in the future but he's not there yet, the best brit-US (as in english speaking) hope may very well be TJVG. I think that he can get 3rd place in Paris, ahead of Porte/Valverde.

I don't know if I will write off Porte so quick, he is still there. We need a long climb to decide, Stage 10 is set up for it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:

And, I just realized, it's even Astana vs. Saxo Bank all over again. :eek:

Much Ado About Nothing :D

Was actually a very good stage, though hard to read too much into the most talked about three second time gap in the history of a three week race. I think that Contador, Nibali and Porte would all be pretty happy with how it went. You can cancel out Valverde's winning chances; I expected better from him there, plus also JVB's. Given Porte's illness riddled season, he is every chance to only get better as this race goes on, so go the 'little' Aussie battler!

Yes, stage 9 will most likely be taken easy by the GC guys, but stage 10 will be brilliant. Only stage that I am looking forward to more than that is stage 13, the first in the Alps.