• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de Suisse :Stage 5, Ossingen → Büren an der Aare, 184 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Even a dull day has a deserved winner:

322-PIC472233812.jpg

More pics here: http://www.steephill.tv/2014/tour-de-suisse/photos/stage-05/

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
There was no safety issue here. Yes, the finale wasn't suited for a bunch sprint, but it wasn't outright dangerous, just narrow and winding. In short, it just BEGGED for a late attack. But there was none, because the team's dogmatic approach to the race forced a bunch sprint where it should not have happened.

Getting a bit tired of this happening every single time the organizers dare not putting a 8 lane boulevard finish on a flat stage and incentive attacks. A flat stage should not HAVE to end in a bunch sprint.

it was a race circuit, everyone was able to see the finish - which was twisty and challenging, but not dangerous, from my point of view - one lap in advance. If the riders still took too many risks and crashed it's not the organizers who are to blame

search said:
it was a race circuit, everyone was able to see the finish - which was twisty and challenging, but not dangerous, from my point of view - one lap in advance. If the riders still took too many risks and crashed it's not the organizers who are to blame

If 9 riders are careful, the 10th that takes many risks will take the win, or crash and take some of the more careful riders with him (a sort of 'tragedy of the commons'). That's why such a finish is badly designed. It refuses to aknowledge reality.

Jagartrott said:
If 9 riders are careful, the 10th that takes many risks will take the win, or crash and take some of the more careful riders with him (a sort of 'tragedy of the commons'). That's why such a finish is badly designed. It refuses to aknowledge reality.

yep, exactly, so its rider #10 who is to blame then

the only solution is to have no more sprint stages. To have sprints on flat, wide, straight on motorways only can surely not be what anyone wants to see.

professional sports is supposed to be interesting & exciting for the spectators - otherwise there is no reason for it to exist

search said:
yep, exactly, so its rider #10 who is to blame then

the only solution is to have no more sprint stages. To have sprints on flat, wide, straight on motorways only can surely not be what anyone wants to see.

professional sports is supposed to be interesting & exciting for the spectators - otherwise there is no reason for it to exist

If you are going to have sprints involving a large number of riders it is perfectly reasonable to accept that it is not sensible to have technical finishes. Of course the classic way people like you argue against this is to go to extremes to make a point. No-one is saying it has to be a motorway but there should not be 90 degree turns in the last km.

But like i said, it is clear that the no.1 priority for the authorities is not rider safety but making the sport exciting and dramatic

willbick said:
But like i said, it is clear that the no.1 priority for the authorities is not rider safety but making the sport exciting and dramatic

yes, maybe it is, but in the end this is why those riders are able to be paid for what they are doing - because people think it's exciting to watch them doing it.

there is a certain line that should not be crossed of course, I don't want to see anyone getting hurt as well, don't understand me wrong, but I think a finish like yesterday's is certainly close to cross that line, but still acceptable if they do it as part of a finishing circuit (as it was the case yesterday)