• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour Down Under Stage 1: Nurioopta -> Angaston, 137km (2.WT)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Finally the racing starts, looking forward to it. :)

If Greipel can get over the climb he'll win this easy, but if he doesn't than Ewan, Matthews, or Thomas to get the win. Could also see guys like Steele Von Hoff or Danny Van Poppel being up there.

Greipel won't i think. Last time the race went over that climb, it was a sprint won by Freire. And the climb was even 10 k further from the summit back then.

So this is probarbly going to be for guys like Gerrans, Thomas, Rojas, perhaps Alaphilippe.

Orbit501 said:
Curious that no one has mentioned Fabio Felline for this. In fact the whole tour has some very favourable parcours for him. He could be keen to impress for his new team and bag some early WT points. Or am I missing something?

Also wonder how Soupe will go on this stage too.?

Both Soupe and Felline could do well on a stage like this. All depends on form and luck imo. How often do we see FDJ riders in form during TDU?

Dazed and Confused said:
Both Soupe and Felline could do well on a stage like this. All depends on form and luck imo. How often do we see FDJ riders in form during TDU?

I see FDJ are supposed to be riding for Veikkanen, after he finished 10th on GC last year. Point taken about them not doing too much here, but Soupe might like a dig at a sprint with no Demare around to lead out, and a bump in the road doesn't seem to bother him like it does some others.

Like you say though, pot luck here with many of the Europeans as to early form and desire.

BeI_Ib8CYAASsRZ.jpg

There you go. Proof that Geoffrey Soupe is targeting 2, yes TWO!, stage wins down under :D

Either that or he's just really chilled :cool:

Kind of a dilemma for Greenedge I guess. Matthews is their best shot if it comes to a (decimated) sprint, but those time bonuses could be useful for Gerrans. Any guesses who their going for today?

Arredondo said:
Greipel won't i think. Last time the race went over that climb, it was a sprint won by Freire. And the climb was even 10 k further from the summit back then.

So this is probarbly going to be for guys like Gerrans, Thomas, Rojas, perhaps Alaphilippe.
I thouhg today was the stage won last year by Thomas, but I see is the stage of Freire... the climb is selective, no options for pure sprinters...and good options for the GC names and who you named.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
CN text coverage is live now

tv coverage in 2 hours from now

The talk of today is all about Menglers Hill and who will make it over the top to challenge for the win. What are the specifics of the climb?

The first 2.5km of the climb starts at about 330 metres altitude to about 500 metres altitude (gradient mostly 10-15%, peaking at about 20%)

this commentary from CN is completely incorrect. i have been up here a number of times in the last few days and there is one pinch which *might* be about 10% average gradient would be around 6 or 7 percent.

that said, the pure sprinters will get dropped for sure

Orbit501 said:
Curious that no one has mentioned Fabio Felline for this. In fact the whole tour has some very favourable parcours for him. He could be keen to impress for his new team and bag some early WT points. Or am I missing something?

Good pick. I mentioned him in the other thread (for gc). He may not have the sprint of a Matthews/ Ewan, so that's why i didn't fancy him for this stage.