• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour Down Under Stage 1: Nurioopta -> Angaston, 137km (2.WT)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
2014 Tour Down Under Stage 1: Nurioopta -> Angaston, 137km (2.WT)

Tour-Down-Under-Stage-1-1380550110.png

Tour-Down-Under-Stage-1-1380550105.png

Starlist

Start time: 11am (Murray Street)

ŠKODA King of the Mountain: Menglers Hill Road, Menglers Hill (near Angaston)

Sprint locations: Bethany Road, Bethany (2 sprints)

Feed station: Murray Street, Angaston

Finish time: 2.24pm ETA (ACST)

There will be a live feed available for all posters.

Video: Stage Preview

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Guybrush said:
how hard is that hill about 10 km away from the finish line?
Menglers Hill is about 2km at 7%

Dazed and Confused said:
Probably Ewan's best chance. Kittel will be dropped on the hill.

Goss and Greipel to fill the rest of the podium.

Good design of a flat stage.

Not convinced that Greipel will get over the hill with the leaders. I think it will be raced quite hard. Evans has said that he thinks it will split up.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
barmaher said:
2km at 7% is tough enough. This could be a very interesting stage. How tough is the kick up at the end?

It is an uphill sprint for sure although by no means steep. Goss beat Greipel here in 2011 except they did not climb Menglers.

That is very helpful, thanks.

Looks like Gerrans couldn't have picked a nicer profile for himself if he tried.

I like the look of riders like Roelandts in this. Difficult to know what type of form he is in. Rojas Gil is another to keep in mind, given that he is clearly in good nick judging by yesterday's race.

Gerrans
Rojas
Roelandts

Is my idea of the first three in this race. I expect that only 30 or so riders will get to the finish in the leading group. Forecast of 35 degrees doesn't augur well for some riders.

barmaher said:
That is very helpful, thanks.

Looks like Gerrans couldn't have picked a nicer profile for himself if he tried.

I like the look of riders like Roelandts in this. Difficult to know what type of form he is in. Rojas Gil is another to keep in mind, given that he is clearly in good nick judging by yesterday's race.

Gerrans
Rojas
Roelandts

Is my idea of the first three in this race. I expect that only 30 or so riders will get to the finish in the leading group. Forecast of 35 degrees doesn't augur well for some riders.

If Roelandts survive then Matthews and Ewan will be fine too. And watch out for young Alaphilippe, he's good on uphill sprints and fine with hills like the one on stage 1.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Finally the racing starts, looking forward to it. :)

If Greipel can get over the climb he'll win this easy, but if he doesn't than Ewan, Matthews, or Thomas to get the win. Could also see guys like Steele Von Hoff or Danny Van Poppel being up there.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
hmm work starts at 8:00 CET..

so this must be like 4/5:00 CET?

Could get up just a little earlier, but hmm, for a sprint stage? Maybe for Willingu Hill :D
It could be a sprint stage, but I wouldn't bet on it. That hill decimated the peloton in 2012 when it was 30 km from the line.

So it should be a pretty good stage. Sleep is overrated anyway ;)

Curious that no one has mentioned Fabio Felline for this. In fact the whole tour has some very favourable parcours for him. He could be keen to impress for his new team and bag some early WT points. Or am I missing something?

Also wonder how Soupe will go on this stage too.?