• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Volta a Catalunya, Stage 5: Llanars Vall de Camprodon → Valls (218 Km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bookbuild said:
Froome looks like he will have a terrible 2014 season, after finishing only 6th.

Oh dear :eek:

I wouldn't read anything into the top GC guys in this race really, to be fair The gaps haven't been that significant to draw up a big picture anyway. Let's not forget Contador said he wouldnt be at his strongest due to the tough TA, Froome had to miss TA because of his back and said he is here to get the miles in. Purito hasn't raced since Oman either but has not had a small setback like Froome.

being quiet bit of trolling this week by look of things.

Weather has kept things conservative as far as I can see. One thing I am excited about is too see french riders competing again while Rolland hasn't improved we are getting riders like badret and Barguil impressing us

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Today and Sunday we may very well see Paris-Nice type stages : gaps are small and there will be some attacks, using descents as much as climbs. too bad today's stage uses very big roads in its last bits... Wide roads are really bad for good competitive cycling.

In terms of the GC, it is interesting to note

1) that stages 3 and 4 not only took out the bonus seconds at the finish line but also the bonus seconds at the sprint.

2) only Poblet sprints carry bonus seconds, the other 2 sprints on each stage don't carry any time bonus.

It would be amusing to see Froome sprinting for bonus seconds that don't exist. Keep an eye out for it on today's stage.

manafana said:
why would froome sprint here he has no interest in anything but racing and getting back to his oman level.
He may want to move up from sixth place; he seems to be a racer.

Anyway, I could have used any of the GC guys as an example. I only used Froome as I recall him sprinting for a footbridge or something like that in the Vuelta when it was down to the wire with Cobo.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
wirral said:
He may want to move up from sixth place; he seems to be a racer.

Anyway, I could have used any of the GC guys as an example. I only used Froome as I recall him sprinting for a footbridge or something like that in the Vuelta when it was down to the wire with Cobo.

why would froome care for fisnhing either 6th or 3rd

wirral said:
Maybe he would like to win the Volta a Catalunya, duuhh.

I'm sure ideally he would, however he has said himself that he is only here to test the legs and recover from his minor injury. His only goal is the Tour. So the reply is I actually don't think Froome or even Sky care if he finishes 3rd or 6th, as long as he continues to improve form.

Race in progress....

After 62km, group of 8 with 1:40

Los ocho de cabeza son:
58 EARLE, Nathan (AUS/Sky)
84 KRUIJSWIJK, Steven (NED/Belkin)
95 BURGHARDT, Marcus (GER/BMC)
112 ROY, Jérémy (FRA/FDJ)
158 ROLLAND, Pierre (FRA/Europcar)
166 PREIDLER, Georg (AUT/Giant)
185 MADRAZO, Angel (ESP/Caja Rural)
196 OWSIAN, Lukasz (POL/CCC)

This took 50km or so to establish. I think we have a race today.

Tickers:

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/eventos_online-ficha.asp?id=503

http://www.voltacatalunya.cat/es/encarrera/5/

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Race in progress....

After 62km, group of 8 with 1:40

Los ocho de cabeza son:
58 EARLE, Nathan (AUS/Sky)
84 KRUIJSWIJK, Steven (NED/Belkin)
95 BURGHARDT, Marcus (GER/BMC)
112 ROY, Jérémy (FRA/FDJ)
158 ROLLAND, Pierre (FRA/Europcar)
166 PREIDLER, Georg (AUT/Giant)
185 MADRAZO, Angel (ESP/Caja Rural)
196 OWSIAN, Lukasz (POL/CCC)

This took 50km or so to establish. I think we have a race today.

Tickers:

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/eventos_online-ficha.asp?id=503

http://www.voltacatalunya.cat/es/encarrera/5/

Interesting Sky have put Earle up the road. Assume they are looking for the stage or just getting out of chasing instead of setting something up for the Dawg.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
why would he care

His team cares, he prob doesn't give a **** but is that a reason to not go for it? Froome doesn't seem the kind of guy who doesn't wanna help out his team in that aspect.