• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Vuelta a España, Stage 15: Oviedo → Lagos de Covadonga (152Km)

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Donkey said:
I disagree, only tomorrow and/or on Stage 20 we would be able to rule Dawg out. Or not. He shouldn't be underestimated for a single second.

3 stages Froome has struggled. For me, thats more than enough evidence. But I guess this is what happens when someone's got into your head.

naviman said:
Contador needs to use his eyes more. Can't he see that Froome is struggling? There is no need for him to attack like he did today. Froome is not going to be a threat for GC.

Your guessing, only a few days since that Froome left Contador and took time, and if that had been fare from finish, it surely would have been more..

should us amateur (u and me, and the most of C.N.) just give Contador some obvius credit and expect that he & the Saxo-team who are out there, every minute, that they useally more competent to judge if Froome is a threat or not..)

To think that we know better, is hilrius.. but like stated...

GroupDK said:
It give sense why Contador is afraid of Froome and still shows him respect and a class him as a GC contender....

Valverde & Rodriguez he's comforatble with and had from time to time over many years sense that these oldtimers he knew very well from the oldschool and wich he useally was pretty confident with, and prooved it Again and again-.

Froome quite the oppesit.. and had really made a mockery of him at numerous occations and been on a hole different level, suited up with Froome's great TT skills

So it make sense, why Contador still got a lot of fokus on Froome, WHO are the only one that had show signs of alien tendencies from time to time...

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
MBotero said:
I still don't get way everybody attacks Valverde,the guy is more like a sprinter than a climber.The simple fact that he can hang on with the climbers should be praised,not slammed.Why is he to blame,that those climbers can't drop him?
And if he want's to win this Vuelta why should have worked for Contador or Purito?

...worked for Purito, AC and HIMSELF. That's what I would expect. With the same result + more seconds on Froome.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
naviman said:
3 stages Froome has struggled. For me, thats more than enough evidence. But I guess this is what happens when someone's got into your head.

he makes his way to the finish line. Unlike Vuelta 2012.

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
GroupDK said:
Your guessing, only a few days since that Froome left Contador and took time, and if that had been fare from finish, it surely would have been more..

should us amateur (u and me, and the most of C.N.) just give Contador some obvius credit and expect that he & the Saxo-team who are out there, every minute, that they useally more competent to judge if Froome is a threat or not..)

To think that we know better, is hilrius.. but like stated...

You're right that Froome has beaten up Contador in the past. However, all those other times Froome has attacked, unlike in this vuelta. He even lost time in the TT. The situation this time is different to other races.

I think we should wait for tomorrow though. It will tell us a lot.

Donkey said:
I repeat: I don't think anyone should have attacked. I just think three Spaniard should have worked together to gain time to Froome. Especially Stupido which is the same time as Froome and is not gonna have a chance to wheelsuck in stage 21 :)
the time differences among those three would be the same anyway and they would distance Froome more.

If they did it a few times already, Froome could have a big margin now and they could fight amongst each other with less risk.
The thing is, Purito already has podiums. He really wants to win a GT and the people he needs to focus on to do that are Contador and Valverde. Sure, they could work together to distance Froome but then they'd just be racing for lesser places which everyone always also loves to criticize. Maybe they could have gained an additional 20 secs on Froome but I appreciate the fact that they're actually trying to win the Vuelta rather than settle.
Donkey said:
this would prove you right, I agree. On the other hand we can all see Bertie is focused in Froome. Why would he attack someone who is hepling him gaining time on Froome?
Because that person is a much bigger threat at the moment?

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Donkey said:
...worked for Purito, AC and HIMSELF. That's what I would expect. With the same result + more seconds on Froome.

Froome it's not a factor in this moment,it's between them so they are fighting for winning La Vuelta,not for distancing Froome;)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
The thing is, Purito already has podiums. He really wants to win a GT and the people he needs to focus on to do that are Contador and Valverde. Sure, they could work together to distance Froome but then they'd just be racing for lesser places which everyone always also loves to criticize. Maybe they could have gained an additional 20 secs on Froome but I appreciate the fact that they're actually trying to win the Vuelta rather than settle.
Mate, you might be right, yes. But I still believe
1.eliminate Froome when there's a chance
2.fight for the first place
would be a better strategy for him.

jaylew said:
Because that person is a much bigger threat at the moment?

I'm pretty sure Alberto doesn't think so. If he did he wouldn't work in front and waited to Rodriguez or Valverde to move.

btw. good to read Alberto has the same thoughts as me :)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta-contador-criticises-lack-of-collaboration

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
MBotero said:
Froome it's not a factor in this moment,it's between them so they are fighting for winning La Vuelta,not for distancing Froome;)

a few more posts and I'm afriad I'll become a Froome fan whishing he's proove you wrong :)

Yeah, that's why he kept attacking them. :rolleyes: If Contador was just worried about Froome he would have kept going at a hard pace. After all, he still got dropped in the sprint and lost time. At least then he would have that extra time on Froome he so desired.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
jaylew said:
Of course. Who else has been able to take it to him on a consistent basis?

39of0452.jpg

Contador said:
We didn’t work together at a point when it was vital to try to distance him,” Contador said afterwards. “This was a really good opportunity and even if I did manage to get some time, it could have been more if people around me had use some logic.”

“At the same time, I was watching the two whiners Valverde and Rodriguez, they’re useally very fast in the sprints, so its doesnt give much sense that they didnt took turns. But the sneaky lizard' Froome is, for me, the strongest rider I’ve ever come across in my career and his form can literally come out of the blue, so you cant rest. Between here and Santiago we’ll see how big an opportunity it was that we’ve lost, but Froome is clever and sneaky, and you dont always know where you got him.

Contador said that the three had talked, but only a little, about working together to the finish. to gain some time on Froome “but Rodriguez the fool keept on trying to change his speed again and again, and then I started keeping something back too and didnt wanted to get humilated by there tactics, and it all got a bit complicated to say the least.”

“If I had been alone, I might have got a better gap, but its difficult when its Rodriguez & Valverde” you left with, he mused
--------------------

Sure, some can say that Contador got a point here..:rolleyes:

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
What a sh!tshow from Purito and Piti. Really, really disliked the wheel sucking. I hope the podium will be Contador, Froome and Aru. In that order would be ever better, but at least all 3 deserve a podium for their riding. Unlike the 2 clowns.

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
naviman said:
Contador: "But Froome is, for me, the strongest rider I’ve ever come across in my career."

:eek::eek::eek:
Can't be true....

Then why didn't he keep a constant speed after dropping froome, with no worries about the people on his backwheel?

TheGreenMonkey said:
If Valverde had gone to the front and done pacing there is no guarentee that he would have won the stage. He might have just given Contador a break to enable him to attack harder and drop him.
Either Contador or Rodriguez don't know how to negotiate collaboration from Valverde. It's simple, have him take the bonus secs. regardless, but work together to drop Froome out of contention.