• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Vuelta a Espana, Stage 12: Logroño → Logroño (166 Km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
And today's lucky rider is Krizek. Holds a lead of 3:25 after a few kms.
Not even the locals wants to be in the break today.

If they continue like that, they will arrive at 7 CET.
If the sprinters don't go for the intermediate sprints - and I doubt it - Valverde will suck another couple of seconds on each sprint.

After the stage, Contador will have no more than 16 seconds.

EDIT: Tinkoff should send Bennati with Contador, just in case Valverde goes for the seconds.

This is where Sagan starts taking it seriously. The circuit has hints of similarities to the Worlds' later this month. Ideally(for training purposes)though, much easier, this one.
If Sagan doesn't show his class today, his season is over and will haunt him mentally for years to come.

greenedge said:
Bouhanni to win.

And more pertinent question, WHERE is Cavendish??? This is the first year since 2007 he has not won a GT stage.

He wasn't fit enough to start the Vuelta after his shoulder op, plus he chose to skip the Giro so he could prepare fully for the Tour. Unfortunately for him that did not turn out too good.

roosters76 said:
He has 6:25m on peloton at 34km

ah ok, misunderstanding.

already on the 2nd

2006_Bodegas_Beronia_Rioja_Reserva.JPG

now he's 7:25 ahead and the average speed dropped to 33.4 km/h

I think Krizek should go as fast as he can, even though he has no chance to survive...but he still hasn't got a contract for next year, so he can use this self-PR quite a bit

average speed 32.7 km/h according to lavuelta.com and the peloton are going even slower 6 minutes back on the breakaway rider, can that be right?. They might as well call it a rest day and just let Bouhani and Kittel ride the last could of kilometers for the points.

I assume absolutely nothing happened at the first sprint?

Edit:

1. Matthias KRIZEK (68)
2. Nacer BOUHANNI (91)
3. Michael Valgren ANDERSEN (202)

Bouhanni interested in Green?

Not sure there is enough stages left for him or Degenkolk to stop Valverde or Contandor taking that:

1. DEGENKOLB, J. GIA 87
2. BOUHANNI, N. FDJ 74
3. MATTHEWS, M. OGE 71
4. VALVERDE, A. MOV 64
5. CONTADOR, A. TCS 56

l.Harm said:
I don't know, priority is Barguil's GC apparently. Vuelta website.

He's riding for a Giant rider? Interesting.

I'd say he realizes that it's probably impossible for a sprinter to get the jersey, but at the same time if he can score a few points in an intermediate sprint with nearly zero effort, why not?

wirral said:
Also, Degenkolb, interviewed very early on in the race, stated his belief it is nigh on impossible for a sprinter to win the points jersey at the Vuelta the way the course is designed and the points are scored.

that's what he said, yes, but two more wins in those sprint stages would mean Valverde, Contador or Purito would need to make up ~70-80 points on the remaining stages - which is possible of course, but far from certain with the usually high amount of breakaways making it to the end (which Degenkolb or Matthews could join as well and thereby score points)

TRENDING THREADS