• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Critérium du Dauphiné, stage 1: Ugine > Albertville

Time for the Dauphiné!

PROFIL.jpg

Km 17.0 - Côte d'Esserts-Blay 1.4 kilometre-long climb at 6.9% - category 4
Km 36.5 - Côte du Villard 1.2 kilometre-long climb at 8.7% - category 3
Km 40.0 - Côte du Cruet 2.3 kilometre-long climb at 4.9% - category 4
Km 56.0 - Côte du Villard 1.2 kilometre-long climb at 8.7% - category 3
Km 72.0 - Côte du Villard 1.2 kilometre-long climb at 8.7% - category 3
Km 88.0 - Côte du Villard 1.2 kilometre-long climb at 8.7% - category 3
Km 103.5 - Côte du Villard 1.2 kilometre-long climb at 8.7% - category 3
Km 119.5 - Côte du Villard 1.2 kilometre-long climb at 8.7% - category 3

Start: 11.35 - Finish: 14.34 - 14.52

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Re:

BigMac said:
People must not be looking at the same profile as I. If Valverde wins here against the pure sprinters we may be witnessing the genius performance of the decade.

As if he didn't beat the rider in your avatar in Catalunya ;) 8,7% in 1,2 km if raced hard can shake pure sprinter's legs a bit if not drop some of them. Plus Piti should be determined to take some seconds wherever possible.

Re:

Mr.White said:
Yeah, like he has never beat sprinters before :rolleyes:

Where on a flat stage like this? 1.2km's @ 8.7% 12km's away from the finish, considering those hills won't most likely even be raced hard, there are plenty of guys who, in theory, should beat him with much ease. I will take the path of shame if he is among the five best.

thesrick said:
As if he didn't beat the rider in your avatar in Catalunya ;) 8,7% in 1,2 km if raced hard can shake pure sprinter's legs a bit if not drop some of them. Plus Piti should be determined to take some seconds wherever possible.

How is the Barcelona stage even comparable? ;)

Re:

BigMac said:
People must not be looking at the same profile as I. If Valverde wins here against the pure sprinters we may be witnessing the genius performance of the decade.

I think it's such a short stage that it will be raced very hard from the start. That will put the sprinters in difficulty (not that there are very many to start with... Bouhanni, Mezgec, Farrar, anyone else???) , giving them little chance to recover between the climbs. If someone like Sagan, Degenkolb or Matthews was here, then Valverde would have no chance, but with this field, he could easily take the win.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
BigMac said:

I think it's such a short stage that it will be raced very hard from the start. That will put the sprinters in difficulty (not that there are very many to start with... Bouhanni, Mezgec, Farrar, anyone else???) , giving them little chance to recover between the climbs. If someone like Sagan, Degenkolb or Matthews was here, then Valverde would have no chance, but with this field, he could easily take the win.

Also Modolo. Even Reinardt van Rensburg will finish ahead of him by leading out Farrar. Plus some other fast guys. There's also nothing to indicate Valverde will want to be on the mix so early in the race and risk a crash. As I said, I can be surprised.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

BigMac said:
Mr.White said:

Where on a flat stage like this? 1.2km's @ 8.7% 12km's away from the finish, considering those hills won't most likely even be raced hard, there are plenty of guys who, in theory, should beat him with much ease. I will take the path of shame if he is among the five best.

thesrick said:

And what if those hills will be raced hard? Has he got the chance then? I'd say he has. Watch out, he could easily end up, not in top 5, but on the top.

And how is not Barcelona stage comparable to this?! Montjuic is little longer, but less steeper then this climb

Mr.White said:
BigMac said:
Mr.White said:

thesrick said:

And what if those hills will be raced hard? Has he got the chance then? I'd say he has. Watch out, he could easily end up, not in top 5, but on the top.

And how is not Barcelona stage comparable to this?! Montjuic is little longer, but less steeper then this climb

And raced eight times, uninterruptedly, with the last climb just before the line. And even if it's raced hard, I wouldn't bet on him.

BigMac said:
DFA123 said:
BigMac said:

Also Modolo. Even Reinardt van Rensburg will finish ahead of him by leading out Farrar. Plus some other fast guys. There's also nothing to indicate Valverde will want to be on the mix so early in the race and risk a crash. As I said, I can be surprised.

Yeah, you may be right actually. Having not raced for a while he could well just look to ease himself back into racing. Especially if he is going to seriously go all out for the GC. If some other teams ride it really hard though and there is a greatly reduced bunch near the end, I'm sure he'd give it a go in the sprint.