• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Giro Route Rumours

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Velofacts ‏@velofacts 5 min
If 263 km is correct for the 2015 giro stage, it would be the longest grand tour stage since #tdf 1995 I think.
:eek:

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I think now, it's almost official:

Program 98. Giro d'Italia:
09 maja - etap 1: San Lorenzo al Mare Sanremo, 17,6 km (TTT) ***
10 maja - etap 2: Albenga - Genova, 173 km **
11 maja - etap 3: Rapallo - Sestri Levante, 136 km ***
12 maja - etap 4: Chiavari - La Spezia, 150 km ****
13 maja - etap 5: La Spezia - Abetone, 152 km ***
14 maja - etap 6: Montecatini T.me - Castiglione della Pescaia, 181 km *
15 maja - etap 7: Grosseto - Fiuggi, 263 km **
16 maja - etap 8: Fiuggi - Campitello Matese, 188 km ****
17 maja - etap 9: Benevento - San Giorgio del Sannio, 212 km ****

18 maja (poniedziałek) - dzień przerwy w Civitanova Marche

19 maja - etap 10: Civitanova Marche - Forli, 195 km *
20 maja - etap 11: Forlì - Imola, 147 km ***
21 maja - etap 12: Imola - Vicenza (Monte Berico), 190 km ***
22 maja - etap 13: Montecchio Maggiore - Lido di Jesolo, 153 km *
23 maja - etap 14: Treviso - Valdobbiadene, 59,2 (ITT) *****
24 maja - etap 15: Marostica - Madonna di Campiglio, 165 km ****

25 maja (poniedziałek) - dzień przerwy w Madonna di Campiglio

26 maja - etap 16: Pinzolo - Aprica, 175 km *****
27 maja - etap 17: Tirano - Lugano, 136 km *
28 maja - etap 18: Melide - Verbania, 172 km ***
29 maja - etap 19: Gravellona Toce - Cervinia, 236 km *****
30 maja - etap 20: Saint Vincent - Sestriere, 196 km ****
31 maja - etap 21 : Turyn - Mediolan, 185 km *

I copied this from polish website about cycling that I help to run (http://www.rowery.org).

The parocurs seems to promote fight from the very beginning.

Eshnar said:
The ITT of 59 kms :) Finally

What do you mean finally? There was a 55 km TT in the 2013 Giro. This one will only about 4.5 km longer. I hope they don't make this one as technical, or it will be once again less impressive as it may seem, if you go by distances alone.

EDIT: and three stars to Abetone means no Pradaccio :(

Verbania also only gets 3 stars. Compared to the 3 and 4 star stages in the first week I'm not sure what that means. Has Alpe Segletta been confirmed, or is it not as hard as it appears on the profiles?

The mountain stages in the first week all look terrible, as I expected, but I'm slightly surprised by stage 9. A pointless, but quite hard medium mountain breakaway stage. A nice training ride for Contador, it seems.

From a marketing POV it's beyond sad that they seem to have wasted all four Sundays in the race. (Madonna di Campiglio only works if Contador wants to waste a massive amount of energy - and the chances of that are close to zero, IMO)

I'd probably rate the route between a 4 and a 7 depending on how the Mortirolo stage and the hilly stages are designed (breakaway only or GC relevant).

I don't like that the final week has once again 2 sprinters stages and that we get another Finestre - Sestriere stage.

Another observation: this has to be the softest collection of MTFs in any Giro or Tour de France since... ?

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
What do you mean finally? There was a 55 km TT in the 2013 Giro. This one will only about 4.5 km longer. I hope they don't make this one as technical, or it will be once again less impressive as it may seem, if you go by distances alone.
I mean finally because it's three months we've been guessing the lenght.
It won't be as technical. At the very least there will be 40 kms pan flat.
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Verbania also only gets 3 stars. Compared to the 3 and 4 star stages in the first week I'm not sure what that means. Has Alpe Segletta been confirmed, or is it not as hard as it appears on the profiles?
Alpe Segletta will be there. It's not an HC though. less than 10 kms, quite steep but it's no Finestre nor Mortirolo. And being a descent finish is always underestimated.
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
The mountain stages in the first week all look terrible, as I expected, but I'm slightly surprised by stage 9. A pointless, but quite hard medium mountain breakaway stage. A nice training ride for Contador, it seems.
What makes you think it'll be a breakaway stage? there are good hills around S.Giorgio. And stage 8 is actually a very good climb for a first week. It's no Montevergine.
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
From a marketing POV it's beyond sad that they seem to have wasted all four Sundays in the race. (Madonna di Campiglio only works if Contador wants to waste a massive amount of energy - and the chances of that are close to zero, IMO)
agreed
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
I'd probably rate the route between a 4 and a 7 depending on how the Mortirolo stage and the hilly stages are designed (breakaway only or GC relevant).

I don't like that the final week has once again 2 sprinters stages and that we get another Finestre - Sestriere stage.

Another observation: this has to be the softest collection of MTFs in any Giro or Tour de France since... ?
Dunno. But that's a pro, not a con. Enough with HC MTFs and then complain everybody waits for the last 3 kms.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
I mean finally because it's three months we've been guessing the lenght.

Alpe Segletta will be there. It's not an HC though. less than 10 kms, quite steep but it's no Finestre nor Mortirolo. And being a descent finish is always underestimated.

What makes you think it'll be a breakaway stage? there are good hills around S.Giorgio. And stage 8 is actually a very good climb for a first week. It's no Montevergine.

agreed

Dunno. But that's a pro, not a con. Enough with HC MTFs and then complain everybody waits for the last 3 kms.
I cant agree more.:)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Eshnar said:

This is a massive PRO... less MTFs is a necessity in our GTs.. Having Giros, TDFs and Vueltas with 8/10 or even 12 MTFS is a nightmare. MTFS should be few and strategically placed, a bit like an TT. Give me a GT with 3/4 MTFs and a few hill top finishes and a route that has variety and descents, and I'll be happy !

LaFlorecita said:
Dunno. It would be cool to see Alberto attack on recta Contador
Let's just hope he doesn't softpedal it with the rest of the peloton like he did the only time he raced on the Mortirolo.
I like AC, but giving his name to a section of Mortirolo of all climbs sounds a bit stupid, to say the least.

Eshnar said:
Let's just hope he doesn't softpedal it with the rest of the peloton like he did the only time he raced on the Mortirolo.
I like AC, but giving his name to a section of Mortirolo of all climbs sounds a bit stupid, to say the least.

I know it was a surprise to me too, but he organized some sportives on Mortirolo and Gavia the last few years and it's a new section, so it doesn't have a history or anything.

If they ride that section I am sure Alberto will attack there.

Eshnar said:

Ah, much better. I still may not be enough to make the mountain stages exciting. König could put time into Contador here, I guess...

What makes you think it'll be a breakaway stage? there are good hills around S.Giorgio.

I thought you said the hills surrounding that town weren't very difficult.

And stage 8 is actually a very good climb for a first week. It's no Montevergine.

Yeah, it's actually one of the harder MTFs in this Giro - I got that. It's still too soft, IMO. I don't know where the actual finish will be, but I went with this profile:

http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Campitello-Matese&MountainID=1625

It doesn't look very promising. It's never steep and the the final km appears to be flat, which usually doesn't help.

Not necessarily. The stage design has to make sense first - with the typical behavior of the current peloton - and the design of this whole Giro in mind. Maybe they should have planned another ITT, instead of the useless Turin - Milan stage.

I doubt we will see "GC podium-relevant" long range attacks on the way to Cervinia (a long valley even if they take the shortcut, which they will) or Sestriere. Let alone the mountain stages in the first two weeks. I'd love to be wrong.

Granted the Aprica stage could be really good. Verbania OTOH is placed a day before the (apparently brutal?) Cervinia stage. Not ideal - but again, it's possible. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Ah, much better. I still may not be enough to make the mountain stages exciting. König could put time into Contador here, I guess...
An in shape Contador would kill any route.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
I thought you said the hills surrounding that town weren't very difficult.
I called them "minor" which doesn't mean easy. There are some very good options, but none of them is famous and I don't even know the name of the climbs. None of them get to first category, but that doesn't mean much.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Yeah, it's actually one of the harder MTFs in this Giro - I got that. It's still too soft, IMO. I don't know where the actual finish will be, but I went with this profile:

http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Campitello-Matese&MountainID=1625

It doesn't look very promising. It's never steep and the the final km appears to be flat, which usually doesn't help.
Yeah, that's the side I expect. Which is steep enough to attack. the flat km won't decide anything. If it's a sprint, it will be a flat one instead of uphill... If not, the action will even start 1 km before usual.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Not necessarily. The stage design has to make sense first - with the typical behavior of the current peloton - and the design of this whole Giro in mind. Maybe they should have planned another ITT, instead of the useless Turin - Milan stage.

I doubt we will see "GC podium-relevant" long range attacks on the way to Cervinia (a long valley even if they take the shortcut, which they will) or Sestriere. Let alone the mountain stages in the first two weeks. I'd love to be wrong.

Granted the Aprica stage could be really good. Verbania OTOH is placed a day before the (apparently brutal?) Cervinia stage. Not ideal - but again, it's possible. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.
Cervinia is not so long coming from Saint-Panthaleon. Granted, Saint-Panthaleon is not Mortirolo, but I can still see action there, considering that's the queen stage.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:

Well, last 1000 m aside, it's 12 km at 7.1 %.
It's a Tour de France type of climb. Cat 1 mountain. 5 km from the finish, there is a 9.3 % section for about 800 m. Good to launch an attack. And there are no false flats on the climb.
10 km from the finish there are the 2.5 easiest km and it's still 6 % on average.
Those last flat 1.2 km won't have an influence. Gaps are made before.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a classic super mountain stage on the stage to Cervinia. 236 km and 4-5 big and difficult climbs. I like that. Big endurance test, no stage for Valverde etc. As it should be 2-3 times in a GT.
Plus the Mortirolo stage which is always great. Plus Finestre - Sestriere ( if they put in 1 or 2 decent climbs before it'll be great).

Good placement of the mountain stages. It's concentrated in week 3, but Madonna di Campiglio comes before a rest day, Mortirolo before a flat stage ( action guaranteed) , Cervinia the 2nd stage of the last 3 big mountain stages. The only stage which could have been better placed is the Verbania descent finish.

Even with Finestre- Sestriere as only climbs, the stage comes after a massacrating day. If the first 4-5 positions are not decided someone will attack on Finestre and there will be big gaps.

The long ITT is also a plus. Then we have stage 8-9 and Abetone. Add to that the hills around La Spezia and Sestri Levante.
I'm looking forward to this route.