• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, August 3 to 9

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Arredondo said:
Horner just had too many health problems during the year. Consequence is that his basis is too small to be in real top shape in Utah.

But still he's 5th, and only Dombrowski is better. That just shows his class.

yes it was only wishful thinking

actually between woods,horner and frankie, papy looks the weakest and frankie the strongest
i don't think joe will have problems today..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Mayomaniac said:
70kmph said:
The Empire, hardest climb in the US
No, there are a few climbs that are harder.

I'd say plenty. Compiling a list.

You can start with Mt. Washington, NH. And legitimately used in a professional race (A tour back in 1991 -
Tour of NH???, I think, where Swart from Coors Light won at the summit). Not to mention the annual TT's up it.

Brutal

53x11 in DC said:
BigMac said:
Mayomaniac said:
70kmph said:
The Empire, hardest climb in the US
No, there are a few climbs that are harder.

I'd say plenty. Compiling a list.

You can start with Mt. Washington, NH. And legitimately used in a professional race (A tour back in 1991 -
Tour of NH???, I think, where Swart from Coors Light won at the summit). Not to mention the annual TT's up it.

Brutal

It's in the list. Mt. Washington is hands down one of the hardest climbs in the world. I think Mayo used it in one of his fantasy races.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

jens_attacks said:
Arredondo said:
Horner just had too many health problems during the year. Consequence is that his basis is too small to be in real top shape in Utah.

But still he's 5th, and only Dombrowski is better. That just shows his class.

yes it was only wishful thinking

actually between woods,horner and frankie, papy looks the weakest and frankie the strongest
i don't think joe will have problems today..

I don't know. Frankie always looks smooth, even when he suffers.

And Papy is an old wise fox. It's possible he's waiting till Empire Pass to go full genius.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site

Moose McKnuckles said:
53x11 in DC said:

Brutal

Keep in mind that Empire Pass tops out at over 3,000 feet higher than the top of Mt. Washington.

Totally clear on that point - I still don't think you'll find anyone who feels that Empire is a harder climb. Except for a few guys in the field today! And yes, these guys are CrAWLING up this first pass.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
This climb is basically 2-3 miles of 6-7% with a couple of San Francisco Fillmore Street climbs thrown in here and there to get it to 9.5% overall. Ouch!!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
All this talk about the hardest climbs in the USA has reminded me of the fact that I really despise the USA Pro Cycling Challenge for not using the 2 high altitude monsters that they have. I'd love to see one of those climbs in a real race, it would be a massacre.

Re:

53x11 in DC said:
This climb is basically 2-3 miles of 6-7% with a couple of San Francisco Fillmore Street climbs thrown in here and there to get it to 9.5% overall. Ouch!!

nothing to contribute here but just got home today from a week in SF visiting family. Got to ride a buddy's old trek 1000 with down tube shifters and 14 speed with 42x23 granny gear. Really got to practice my paperboy climbing technique on Noe and Castro, along with countless other streets.

These guys talk way too much.
If they left a few silences then they would have time to study the
race radio/bib numbers /their notes more and so not end up
making so many uninformed over-dramatic comment/ pure guesswork.
When they talk off the top of their heads they end up being
way more repetitive than any other commentators I've ever heard.

Wittgenstein: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
;)