• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, 28th Feb, 200km, 1.HC

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Netserk said:
Rub what in? Stannard didn't attack. After Boonen was countered by Terpstra (with Vandenbergh taking Stannard with him) he blew. By post was in response to Stannard himself attacking with Boonen unable to follow.

Still, Stannard brought Boonen back all on his own and then closed the gap to Terpstra, dropping Boonen in the process.

Maybe not an attack, but he brought Boonen back, dropped him almost rightaway and kept him at bay all the way to the line.

Some may need to learn about the context of the quote...

More Strides than Rides said:
It's Etixx's race to lose, but if they prioritize Boonen too much, they just might do that.

When Stannard goes, and if Boonen can't, one will stay with TB and one will go up. Stannard could beat Vandenbergh in a sprint, maybe...

That might be the best scenario for Stannard.

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Great win by Stannard. I didn't see the chasers coming in, why was Stybar only 7th? It looked like Etixx can come home with a win and 4 riders in the top 5 but they blew it.

Netserk said:
Did you read the quote I posted?

"When Stannard goes..." Clearly the way that is written Stannard is the first to act. Not reacting to Terpstra's reaction.

That is just pedantry. You were confident that Boonen could follow Stannard easily if Stannard tried to drop him, but Stannard actually rode Boonen off his wheel right after reeling him in. Doesn't really change anything that Terpstra went before Stannard.

Not to say I wasn't surprised by Stannard's ride, though.

Bushman said:
That is just pedantry. You were confident that Boonen could follow Stannard easily if Stannard tried to drop him, but Stannard actually rode Boonen off his wheel right after reeling him in. Doesn't really change anything that Terpstra went before Stannard.

Not to say I wasn't surprised by Stannard's ride, though.
And I still am. If Boonen hadn't just attacked and was countered, but sitting in the wheel of Stannard, no way he would've dropped him (with an attack of his own, not getting dragged away by Vandenbergh).

It changes everything.

Clearly Etixx rode as a team until the final kms and then they all switched to racing as individuals while underestimating just how much VanStannardt had left in the tank.
I would say Peeters was probably to blame the most. That team of three, just had no idea who was leader today and it was their race lost because of this.

Netserk said:
And I still am. If Boonen hadn't just attacked and was countered, but sitting in the wheel of Stannard, no way he would've dropped him (with an attack of his own, not getting dragged away by Vandenbergh).

It changes everything.

That's exactly what happened at 2.9 km to go. Boonen was in the wheel of Stannard and left it to Vandenbergh and Terpstra to close the gap and still got dropped.

roundabout said:
That's exactly what happened at 2.9 km to go. Boonen was in the wheel of Stannard and left it to Vandenbergh and Terpstra to close the gap and still got dropped.
That's exactly what happened? So Boonen never attacked and wasn't countered and it was Stannard who was the first of the four in the group to act?

When Stannard goes, and if Boonen can't, one will stay with TB and one will go up. Stannard could beat Vandenbergh in a sprint, maybe...

Boonen had to be the last man from Quickstep to go but he had no reason to go anyway, he could have watched his team mates attack and out sprint Stannard at the finish, they had a good gap and had some time to play around with.

But it was obvious Stannard had the freshest legs when he counterattacked and put a gap into Boonen. The race was over then as I was confident he could out sprint the other two. Quickstep butchered the finish and Stannard held his nerve. Very good win.

rote_laterne said:
Great win by Stannard. I didn't see the chasers coming in, why was Stybar only 7th? It looked like Etixx can come home with a win and 4 riders in the top 5 but they blew it.

Stybar showed a bit of class and didn't contest the sprint. He was even nice enough to do the leadout when GVA and Vanmarcke started looking at each other. :cool:

I thought it was Terpstra who went first to test Stannard!? Ian pulled him back and Boonen logically attacked then to break free, which at that point seemed to be the winning move. He actually paid the check for that miscalculation, as Stannard smoothly pulled him back too. Terpstra countered, Vandenbergh stupidly went with, Stannard closed again and just whooshed trough like a locomotive. Vandenbergh was cooked, Stannard pulled to let Boonen dry up off the back and timed his sprint better than Terpstra.

Basically he pulled, pulled, pulled, pulled trough, pulled on and sprinted.

He was just the strongest in the final. No matter what mistakes any Quick Step rider made!

As one was able to ace that situation it was always him. That guy is relentless!

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
bala v said:
What's understandable in this move, to chase your own team mate!!! The guy is a moron

Boonen and Lefevre wanted this too much, he should of stayed in Stannard's wheel. Also Stannard is a freaking beast!

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw Stijn chasing Terpstra. That was a fukup of the year. What was he thinking?

He should just stay and follow Stannard and provide recovery time for Tom so they could attack once again if Terpstra was caught.

Stijn has a good engine but he has no brain because he is always the first one getting dropped close to the finish.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
Stybar showed a bit of class and didn't contest the sprint. He was even nice enough to do the leadout when GVA and Vanmarcke started looking at each other. :cool:

That was very nice gesture and I was positively surprised as everyone expected Styby to get the sprint for 5th.

That guy really has a class and made some new friends today!