• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Paris-Nice, Stage 7: Nice - Col d'Èze 9.6km ITT

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BigMac said:
Really amusing to see how Špilak is world class in this sort of conditions, and how he goes nowhere to be seen in the races with normal weather. A case worth studying. What's his next race? Catalunya to support Purito? Will he lead at Pais Vasco? I expect he will pull his best year yet and win Romandie again.

First, define normal weather. If you are talking about 30°C and more than I agree with you. But if we are talking 15-25°C then I don't. He has shown that he can be up there with the best in those conditions, too. It's just that when the conditions are really bad (rain, 10°C or less) he is not affected by them as much as other riders and he suddenly becomes the strongest (or almost) climber in the peloton. When the weather is normal, he is still up there but maybe with the second tier climbers. Then when it gets really hot his body just doesn't react the same way so he can't perform in the Tour or Vuelta. This is why I would like him to go to the Giro this year and see what he could do before completely write him off in the GT's. I'd also like to see him in LBL because I think he could do well there. But it looks like he'll just do his normal Pais Vasco and Romandie double and then who knows.

Also it's funny how every time in early season at the start of these one week races almost everybody is hyping other riders as podium contenders such as Talansky, van Garderen, Majka... And hardly anyone mentions Špilak when he beats them I'd say 70% of the time. Tour the Suisse I'd understand, but PN, Vasco, Romandie give me Špilak and Costa above those 4 times out of 5.