• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015, Ronde van Vlaanderen 264.9 Km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm hoping Devolder can do something. He's a special guy and a real hard-man.
Also hoping that everybody stays on their bike and that no-one has a mechanical at the wrong moment.
Most of all, I'm hoping that they start racing early, that no team is strong enough to control the race and that everybody's just going for it.

Volderke said:
The sad thing about the new parcours is still the fact it goes around in circles. So the wind is not a main factor anymore, and the first 'laps' will always be some kind of waiting game to evaluate the legs on the main Kwaremont / Paterberg climbs.

We will never ever see a long solo with this circuit. And the finale is indeed short-sightedly heavy serving only the VIP tents and their drunk visitors who watch the race and don't know any names except for maybe Boonen, Cancellara and Vanmarcke.

The final run in to Oudenaarde is the most boring - easy - backwind road you can imagine. They could have easily included some 90 degree curves and smaller roads (not necessarily with climbs), but they choose the run in just for the photographers who swarm like flies and influence the race by drafting the cyclists.

Enough rant, Vanmarcke and ofcourse Devolder may win. Vanmarcke with a 1-2 attack on the Kwaremont and Paterberg, or Devolder with a longer attack or an attack in between Kwaremont and Pater. :)

Ya that final run in to Oudenaarde is definitively the most uninspiring stretch of road they could have used. It reminds me of the desert high ways the vuelta uses some times.

Volderke said:
The sad thing about the new parcours is still the fact it goes around in circles. So the wind is not a main factor anymore, and the first 'laps' will always be some kind of waiting game to evaluate the legs on the main Kwaremont / Paterberg climbs.

We will never ever see a long solo with this circuit. And the finale is indeed short-sightedly heavy serving only the VIP tents and their drunk visitors who watch the race and don't know any names except for maybe Boonen, Cancellara and Vanmarcke.

The final run in to Oudenaarde is the most boring - easy - backwind road you can imagine. They could have easily included some 90 degree curves and smaller roads (not necessarily with climbs), but they choose the run in just for the photographers who swarm like flies and influence the race by drafting the cyclists.

So 100% true. Nothing can be added to this comment.
Just supporting the anti-current course people :)

It is disappointing to see what has happened to what was once one of my favorite races. The old course was much more exciting and unpredictable, now everyone just waits for the last circuit. The new course has turned the race almost into something similar to Milan San Remo, though the tougher climbs at the end hopefully will at least ensure the sprinters won't make the finale.

I'm also still lamenting the decision by NBC sports to drop this race from the schedule. Instead of broadcasting Criterium International (which is not a bad race) I wish they would spend the budget on covering Flanders instead.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Volderke said:
We will never ever see a long solo with this circuit.
Long solo? This is not roubaix. Long solos in RvV are extremely rare. In the last 2 decades, I only remember 1 long solo (Devolder I), and that had a lot to do with team tactics, and could still apply on the new circuit...

Buffalo Soldier said:
Volderke said:
We will never ever see a long solo with this circuit.
Long solo? This is not roubaix. Long solos in RvV are extremely rare. In the last 2 decades, I only remember 1 long solo (Devolder I), and that had a lot to do with team tactics, and could still apply on the new circuit...

2nd Museeuw victory was a more or less solo of 26km (escaped on Tenbosse, caught Baldato a few km before the Muur and dropped him like a stone). 3rd Museeuw victory was a "real" solo of 26km (also from Tenbosse)

Re:

Kwibus said:
I really hope more riders will be smart enough like Roelandts 2 years ago and like Greg and Stijn last year.

It's just so silly that a lot of riders of which we all know won't be able to follow the likes of Vanmarcke/Cancellara on the last 2 climbs waitfor the moment they get dropped on the last 2 climbs.

Allthough without the absence of Cancellara we might see a different race. Im afraid an even more passive one.

Without Cancellara and no clear favourite, I fear that many riders indeed think they will be able to survive the final Kwaremont-Paterberg passage, thus wait for the final loop.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Flamin said:
Kwibus said:
I really hope more riders will be smart enough like Roelandts 2 years ago and like Greg and Stijn last year.

It's just so silly that a lot of riders of which we all know won't be able to follow the likes of Vanmarcke/Cancellara on the last 2 climbs waitfor the moment they get dropped on the last 2 climbs.

Allthough without the absence of Cancellara we might see a different race. Im afraid an even more passive one.

Without Cancellara and no clear favourite, I fear that many riders indeed think they will be able to survive the final Kwaremont-Paterberg passage, thus wait for the final loop.
That would be a freakin nightmare but I guess you are right tho

Flamin said:
Kwibus said:

Hopefully they'll realise that plays directly into the hands of Sagan and Kristoff though.

Flamin said:
I don't think so. Many riders will want to shed the sprinters (Degenkolb, Kristoff, perhaps Sagan) early, so that they never make it back.

Jagartrott said:
Flamin said:
I don't think so. Many riders will want to shed the sprinters (Degenkolb, Kristoff, perhaps Sagan) early, so that they never make it back.

Also without Cancellara they dont have the fear of getting dropped on the last lap. I think both Thomas, Vanmarcke and Stybar feel that that they themselves have what it takes to win.

Pretty much that. Here is a quote from the Czech champion on that matter:

"I think at this point my condition is at the best it could possibly be going into De Ronde," Stybar said. "I think my condition has been very good for a few weeks now, and I hope now I have really hit the peak. Here we are a week after Gent-Wevelgem, a very hard race, and I am recovered. I have done well so far, but of course I want more. I want the cherry on the cake. So, I am ready for Sunday."

Jagartrott said:
Flamin said:

I hope you are right. Cobbled riders usually have more balls and aggresion then hilly riders.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site

rghysens said:
Buffalo Soldier said:
I was 5 years old in 1995 :) (but museeuw's 1996 WC victory is one of the earliest vivid memories I have!)
1993 was not in the last 2 decades :p
No, but 1995 and 1998 are.
That's just Nit Picking on your two decades and for some of us who were there who do not distinguish easily 2 decades from 3.
You miss the point that is trying to be made that we "Yearn" for a repeat of 1 or 2 riders on a Break (that has come about with long attacking rides) in the last few Kilometers instead of these Multi rider finishing sprints, like you get now.
It has been said here that Milan-San Remo is now a repetitive Bunch Sprint Bonanza because the Finish is too far away from the Poggio and this gives the time to organise the teams for the run in.

Vesica said:
Buffalo Soldier said:
Vesica said:
As always in RVV still too many kilometers after the last hill (Paterberg).
Wow, I don't think you get it.
Do you want RvV to be a new AGR?

There's a difference between an AGR uphill finish and 15 K. flat.
Have to agree here. Even if they use the Kortekeer and head into the finish along the road at the top of that climb they can still finisg on that unattractive bridge. If a small bunch came to the line, then positioning would be key as their is a corner off the slip road.

MSR is meant to be for sprinters so what if something ends in sprint sometimes as long as its hard earned which you cant say wasnt the case for last yrs RVV. Of course attacking is late, modern racing is conserving energy, 50km solo are not realistic ways to win

Which of the riders people are talking about as favorites is going to attack first?

Perhaps Roelandts will go early but he is not really a big favorite. Vanmarcke seems to waste energy so maybe he will have a pointless dig earlier than the rest which might get things going a bit but he probably will not go on a full attack too early. Etixx might send a rider up the road early but unless it is one of Stybar, Terpstra or Vandenbergh they probably will be let go as they will not be strong enough.