• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Strade Bianche, 7th March, 200 km, 1.HC

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eshnar said:
Serious question now. How many years to go until the Strade Bianche will be recognized as a monument? 30? 50? 100?

A monument has to be an old race to be called an monument, but the race itself is similar to the monuments in greatness with the exception of the length(ESSENTIAL). Some other races have that same quality though, like Omloop or E3. Selective races with hard racing with 60km to go. The uniqueness of this race makes it very special ofcourse.
Wether it will become a monument or not the honor of winning the race will quickly become near winning a monument.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
If Van Avermaet would peak for the Ardennes instead of Flanders he might play a big role on the Cauberg too.
Let's turn it around: If Valverde would peak for Flanders (like Stybar and GVA do), he might have been able to win today :)

It's a shame it isn't an older race. We'd have more editions to look back at for a start.

Don't think it really needs to be any longer - it is selective as it is.

It should be WorldTour anyway, it's a very congested time for WT races though. Guess it would be easier to do with the reforms coming in 2017.

It is certainly better than any of the Ardennes races and Gent-Wevelgem.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Akuryo said:
I don't know if anyone already said it, but this was Stybar's first road victory without any cobbles in the race. Gravel is no cobblestone. :)
That's very hard for me to believe. Were there cobbles in the Czech national champs? In his vuelta stage? In T-A TTT? In his Tour of Poland stage? In his Tour des Pyr?n?es stage? In his Tour of Slowakia Prologue? In all 3 of his Eneco stages (possible)?

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Akuryo said:
I don't know if anyone already said it, but this was Stybar's first road victory without any cobbles in the race. Gravel is no cobblestone. :)

Actually he has won a stage in the Vuelta and stages without cobbles in the Eneco Tour already and the Czech RR which I presume has no cobbles. :)

luckyboy said:
It's a shame it isn't an older race. We'd have more editions to look back at for a start.

Don't think it really needs to be any longer - it is selective as it is.

It should be WorldTour anyway, it's a very congested time for WT races though. Guess it would be easier to do with the reforms coming in 2017.

It is certainly better than any of the Ardennes races and Gent-Wevelgem.
It is selective because no one is in top form. Just like Omloop is selective as well. If it changed spot with Amstel (and had WT status), it would probably often come down to a large group sprinting for the win with this route.

Volderke said:
Having experience with both, I can tell you that the Cauberg is not 1.5km, unless you count the false flat. Perfectly reasonable thing to do for an armchair cyclist :)

You've missed the point. Attacks start from the base of the climb; so the false flat is certainly important in the context.

I have cycled both Cauberg and Huy many times and am well aware of the respective difficulties. The 'false flat' though is one of the key reasons why it suits a rider like Gilbert more than someone like Van Avermaet - because it makes the climb too long for riders who are more like sprinters.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
What an awesome race, I really like Strade Bianche.
Everyone in the front group rode well, I'm impressed by Diego Rosa, that was a nice way to start his season.
The strongest guy was able to win the race, GVA and Valverde both did what they had to do but Stybar was just too strong fot them.
About Sagan, I don't know, i think the bonked.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Akuryo said:
I don't know about the Nationals, but the Vuelta stage had cobbles. Only 200 or 300 meters, but still!

Besides the Geraardsbergen stage Stybar has won two random flat stages because of a late attack as well in Eneco Tour, I don't recall them having cobbles. :p

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
I'd still back Valverde against Stybar on this finish anyday though.

I would have done until today, too (and did, before this race). I'm prepared to admit that I was wrong, though, and certainly won't commit to doing so in the future.

I still don't know if I misjudged ?tybar, the profile, or the time of year, but I'm certainly recalibrating my expectations (and glad I didn't put any money on this one!).

Arredondo said:
So Gerrans broke his elbow today, in his first race after he recovered from a broken collarbone.
That is a true shame. What incintitive will there now be for Valverde to attack? One could hope that the presence of Gerrans could force him to, or at the very least make sure he would lose if he didn't.