• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Route

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
damian13ster said:
Yeah, winning stages being a tactic? What is he thinking..... boooooorrrriiingg :/
The froome tactic is that he attacks 1-2 km´s before the finish because even if there is someone stronger than him he never looses much time with this tactic (look at the dauphine, where he did exactly this). The problem with the tactic is that you don't get so much time, normally only about half a minute which means that you can loose the tour with one bad day. With the bonus seconds this tactic gets supported because he gets 10 seconds more per stage victory.

The tactic gets no more supported than any other that involves crossing the finish line first. Whether that's an attack from far out or from 1km. Every climber, ie everyone of the Big GC rider, wants to get time dropping their rivals, which, if no break is up the road, means crossing the line first.

What the bonus seconds do is punish those that get left behind when the road slopes up by even more than just the number of seconds they are dropped by. It rewards good climbing even more than the route already does.

Now, for the truly well rounded GC riders like Alejandro who are capable of winnign stages other than MTF, it's even better. Nawt wrong with that.

Gigs_98 said:
damian13ster said:
Gigs_98 said:
damian13ster said:
Yeah, winning stages being a tactic? What is he thinking..... boooooorrrriiingg :/
The froome tactic is that he attacks 1-2 km´s before the finish because even if there is someone stronger than him he never looses much time with this tactic (look at the dauphine, where he did exactly this). The problem with the tactic is that you don't get so much time, normally only about half a minute which means that you can loose the tour with one bad day. With the bonus seconds this tactic gets supported because he gets 10 seconds more per stage victory.

But stage wins should be awarded bonuses, because ultimately it is the winning that counts.
That tactic is damn effective, and it is hardly the only one. Froome attacks from further than 1-2km most of the time. It is just in prep races that he goes so late because he is not in top shape. Plus bonus seconds are really beneficial for both Froome and even more so for Contador who can count on TTT and then wheelsuck and jump at the finish moreso than Froome who is pretty much always agressive (attacking at some point on almost every MTF) when in decent shape.
lol, you think froome is more aggressive than contador. Let me guess, your comment is based 100% on last years vuelta.
Yes the tactic is very effective and it gets even more effective with bonus seconds. However the tactic is also extremely boring, which is the reason why I don't want bonus seconds on mtf´s

No, it is based on 2012-now. Well, we can differ in an opinion when it comes to bonus seconds and that's fine.

edit: I agree with Serious Sam

imagegallery-7020-55800664931eb.jpg

imagegallery-7020-55800664da626.jpg

Arc de Triomphe watermark. I hate that fake collar.

Re:

Billie said:
They should do Iseran - Madeleine - Glandon - Alpe d'huez. A real mountain stage.
Unluckily the dangerous tunnel is also on the lautaret part of the galibier, otherwise I would have said:
Mont Cenis - Finestre - Sestriere - Montgenevre - Lautaret - notre dame - Alp d´Huez
That would be a hell of a stage
edit: but I like your idea too, only the flat between glandon and alp d´huez is a problem imo

Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:
They should do Iseran - Madeleine - Glandon - Alpe d'huez. A real mountain stage.
Unluckily the dangerous tunnel is also on the lautaret part of the galibier, otherwise I would have said:
Mont Cenis - Finestre - Sestriere - Montgenevre - Lautaret - notre dame - Alp d´Huez
edit: but I like your idea too, only the flat between glandon and alp d´huez is a problem imo

Bottom of the Glandon descent is much closer to Bourg d'oisans then if they came from Galibier

Billie said:
Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

Bottom of the Glandon descent is much closer to Bourg d'oisans then if they came from Galibier
Depends on what you see as the bottom of the galibier. The completely flat section between bourg d´oisans and glandon is bigger. Moreover, to be honest I don't like neither the combination with the glandon nor the combination with the galibier.

SeriousSam said:
Gigs_98 said:
damian13ster said:

The tactic gets no more supported than any other that involves crossing the finish line first. Whether that's an attack from far out or from 1km. Every climber, ie everyone of the Big GC rider, wants to get time dropping their rivals, which, if no break is up the road, means crossing the line first.

What the bonus seconds do is punish those that get left behind when the road slopes up by even more than just the number of seconds they are dropped by. It rewards good climbing even more than the route already does.

Now, for the truly well rounded GC riders like Alejandro who are capable of winnign stages other than MTF, it's even better. Nawt wrong with that.
Sorry that this answer comes a little bit late but I still disagree.
I make an example: Lets say froome wins 3 mountain top finishes in this tour, every single one with the tactic we saw in this years dauphine. Every time he wins he finishes 30 seconds in front of nibali, and to make it easier lets say there is only one more stage where nibali doesn't finish at the same time like froome, which is the glandon stage. On this stage he attacks on the descent of the glandon and because froome is suddenly isolated he wins the stage with 100 seconds advance on froome. Without bonus seconds nibali would win the tour, with bonus seconds froome wins. Please you don't have to explain me why my calculation wouldn't work, I know that. The point is that long distance attacks have two big disadvantages:
1.) they rarely work
2.) they cost much energy
So you can't do a long range attack in every mountain stage, but you can do the froome tactic on every mtf. Thats not such a big problem because the reason why you do a long range attack is, that you want to get much time in one stage, however with bonus seconds its better to win many stages with a little advantage than to win one stage with a big advantage.
ps: please don't argue that the froome tactic is better because the best rider always wins. Thats right (as we saw it in last years vuelta this tactic doesn't mean froome always wins, only when he is really the strongest rider) but that would mean, that you only need stages with one climb because than you could be almost completely sure that the strongest riders wins. I prefer spectacular stages with long range attacks and isolated leaders.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know precisely where stage 2 starts? I've got a general idea but not entirely sure.
Also probably not the place to ask but I'll ask anyway, do riders talk to fans on the rest days and/or before stages.

gd_2015_parcours02.jpg

Once again, the Jaarbeurs Utrecht Trade Centre will play host to the start of the second stage. The pack will then parade down the streets of the old quarters and alongside the canals before passing under the arcades of the Dom, the tower of the Saint Martin Cathedral. Afterwards, it will head to the Maliebaan promenade and pass in front of the house which witnessed the founding, in 1883, of the Nederlandse Vélocipèdisten Bond, the first cycling club in the Netherlands. The actual start will take place on the ‘t Goylaan and, after a loop to the north of the city followed by twenty kilometres through Leidsche Rijn, the new district of west Utrecht, the Tour de France will head towards...

For more (and better) info, see page 35 in the road book: http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2015/us/linkExtranetFiles/us/tdf15-lr-uk-bd_1433865678.pdf

TRENDING THREADS